Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: LO8 1/2 - Was I wrong in pumping this Pot?

OK - MY strategy would have been to raise if I had something else besides the suited Ace AND if I had 3 others in the hand. Perhaps I'm to afraid of folding people with a raise, not enough experience.

Being new to the game I'll still learning.

As for what happened. I don't have the results in front of me but . . . .

MP3 had A2 AND a 10 high straight.
SB had A2 plus 2 pairs AND a set.(how many outs is THAT)
Hero had A2 and a sweet nut flush draw :-(
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SB had A2 plus 2 pairs AND a set.(how many outs is THAT)

[/ QUOTE ]

2 pair + set just means that he loses 2 of his own outs, not gains them, also helps you on the flush draw as board is less likely to pair up.

Although, I call B.S. actually. You can't have A2 (neither on board), 2 pairs, and a set with less than 6 hole cards.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is about my reraise on the turn - I figure I have a split and a good chance for scooping. Since EVERYBODY is in already lets pump the pot. In retrospect I figure I was going to ge only PART of the Low if I don't hit.

Good? Bad??

PokerStars 1/2 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (28 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 34 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it the exact same way you do, only Im check/calling the river.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although, I call B.S. actually. You can't have A2 (neither on board), 2 pairs, and a set with less than 6 hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to look to see what he REALLY had. Heat of the battle and all that I never looked.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Pre-flop:
I would just call pre-flop to try and get the players behind me in the pot too. Raising is also reasonable to get all the players who limped to pay an extra bet with hands that yours will be ahead of.

Flop:
It is criminal not to raise this flop. You are going to have enough equity to raise plus it will earn you a free river if you miss the turn.

Turn:
Raise the first time that is comes around to you. There is no way that you don't have enough equity to raise here.

River:
Check call, or CR depending on how many people call MP3 bet. You should know that the aggressor is 1 set behind you, use this information. If you bet and he raises do you think that A4 or 67 are going to cold call 2 here? You want them in the pot you don't want to push them out. If you check and aggressor bets and 3 people call, raise and everyone will call.

Don’t take this to harshly but I think you really misplayed this hand. You were calling when you should be betting and betting when you should be calling.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I'll raise with a hand like that, sometimes I won't. It depends on how the rest of the table is playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the right advice, in my opinion. It depends on table reads. It almost always depends on table reads. With a hand like this, you want players. You have 3 nut draws -- nut low, nut flush, and nut straight. At $1/$2, chances are generally good that most will call the raise. But if your reads (or your tracker) tell you that the remaining players are tight, I would call and bring them along with me.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to look to see what he REALLY had. Heat of the battle and all that I never looked.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just made up the results?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 PM

Those are the results as I know them. I was quartered, I was not sure if SB actually HAD 2 pair and a set. I'll look when I get home. All three of us had A2.

As for taking the anything the wrong way - no problem. I've only been playing LO8 for a month and only have 2000 hands in so lots of things come up that are new.

I'm in the 2.5BB/100 range but as we all know that's pretty meaningless. All I know is I no longer make the dumb-ass mistakes like trying to play 3 cards LOL

I have PT-O and Turbo Omaha and . . 5? books so I'm not clueless, just inexperienced.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, jam flop and turn, call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 09-26-2005, 05:55 PM

If the better was to my immediate right, I would only call on both flop and river. With your hand, try to get as much money in as possible.