Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Advisory

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that I don't know how AQ fares best? That it plays better 3 way? That I should limp 67s and 44 on a big stack?

Obviously its better to have fewer opponents by raising, but I hurt my chances of winning a big pot. WIth shallower stacks, the immediate chips gained by raising is of more value, but here it means squat to me to pick up the blinds or get a caller and make a continuation bet, etc.

If I limp I set these loose cannons up for a big fall. I'm going to avoid close decisions and either get out cheap or get in big. I.e. not go nuts on an A or Q high flop unless the action is right. That make sense?

Like I said AQs I would like more because it fares better multiway, but I think its a huge hole in YOUR game if you cant identify situations where it may be more profitable to *gasp* break conventions.

Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. You show a play that you thought was bad, people say it was bad, you vote it's bad, and then you get pissed and start defending your play saying that other people are stuck in these "conventions"?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:40 PM

SLAP, SLAP, SLAP !!!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I limp I set these loose cannons up for a big fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to avoid close decisions and either get out cheap or get in big. I.e. not go nuts on an A or Q high flop unless the action is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two quotes seem to contradict themselves. How will you set a loose cannon up for a big fall without putting a lot of chips in on an A or Q high flop? What flop will allow you to stack your opponents?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Pwning a pwn3r

calling 90BB pushes with AQ=bad
Old 08-12-2005, 07:24 PM

I was planning to let this thread die (since it shows me being a donk) but some of the comments needed responses, and it never hurts to remind people how not to play.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. You show a play that you thought was bad, people say it was bad, you vote it's bad, and then you get pissed and start defending your play saying that other people are stuck in these "conventions"?

[/ QUOTE ]
The play that was piss poor was my call. The limp I said was debatable, as there are merits in underplaying medium-strong hands on a big stack.

[ QUOTE ]

These two quotes seem to contradict themselves. How will you set a loose cannon up for a big fall without putting a lot of chips in on an A or Q high flop? What flop will allow you to stack your opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]
An A or Q high flop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I said that I wouldnt go nuts on an Axx or Qxx flop unless the action was right. In other words, if the conditions say to me that I can take a big pot, then I will commit lots of chips: I have confidence in my ability to identify good situations for big pots and get out otherwise. Again I repeat that I said the limp was debatable, but I believe that it has much more merit than others seem to think.

[ QUOTE ]

Had you raised and he re-raised, you would have been able to put him on a very strong hand and folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right. I didn't anticipate an ALL IN raise, but had I opened the pot I might have not talked myself into the call. However, my original plan was to NOT call a raise in most cases. I.E. if it folded to the button who opened for 5x I would have just mucked. Open raising makes things simpler and may be better, but I felt like there was something to be gained from the added trickiness of limping.

[ QUOTE ]
calling 90BB pushes with AQ=bad

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite right you are!

[ QUOTE ]
SLAP, SLAP, SLAP !!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks!

I guess the only debate left (if any) is what hands would you play differently in this spot because of my stack size (and stack depth)? Everyone can agree on limping speculative stuff like 78s and 44, but I suggest limping hands like 99/TT and AQs as well.

Kings