Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-04-2005, 11:23 PM

Default 5/10 ps large semi-bluff

I don't know villian too well, but he is very decent, almost definitely a winner in this game (though i dont think much of a winner). He views me as at least somewhat solid i am sure. Hows my line? and what do i do if he:

1. calls, checks river
2. raises some amount more that still gives me odds to call
3. calls, leads (allinish) a board pairing club

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (3 handed)

SB ($2578)
Hero ($5357.25)
Button ($1053)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB calls $20.

Flop: ($60) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $140</font>, Hero calls $100.

Turn: ($340) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $280</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $760</font>
Old 08-05-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: 5/10 ps large semi-bluff

Preflop, does he complete with aces, or is he almost always raising?

If you are going to try that turn raise, maybe raise a bit more, like pot size? The problem is that all K- and J-high flush draws also have a one-card gutshot. You are laying him like 2.9:1, which is too appealing a price for his 10-12 outer. (If you think he has a flush draw a lot here and you *want* him to call with slightly bad odds so you can bluff him on the river, okay, but that play has to be marginally profitable at best when you consider the strength of his draw plus the money you lose when he picks off your bluffs with made hands.)

[ QUOTE ]
1. calls, checks river

[/ QUOTE ]Obviously helps if you have reads, but if you've priced in the paint club draws on the turn, I think you should often take a small stab at it on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
2. raises some amount more that still gives me odds to call

[/ QUOTE ]Your flush draw is little, so it helps if you know if he's capable of a move like that with a flush draw. If the odds he offers you are only barely sufficient for your draw, then fold.

[ QUOTE ]
3. calls, leads (allinish) a board pairing club

[/ QUOTE ]He probably didn't flop a set, since limp-calling preflop with 250bb is a weird way to play a big pair oop, unless he's feeling trappy 3-handed (some players love doing this). For a board-pairing club to fill a two pair hand, it would have to be the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hitting his AT or QT. Sucks if that happens.

AT/QT is 12 combos after the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falls; K/J-high clubs is 15 combos (Is he playing J2s for a raise though? Maybe not, but you can add T9s/T8s).

So yeah, after this turn and river betting sequence, the chance of either a flush or a boat is scary. Without more info, calling and folding both seem fine. Probably call if it's the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Have you seen him bluff big on the end before?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 AM

I'm pretty sure he doesnt limp w/o reraising AA/QQ. I doubt he ever limps TT/AQ. AT and KJ are both possible limping hands. Also 22-77 (14/15 arent sets) is very possible w/ the flop action. His flop raise is weird (what does he limp w/ that he raises here... i figure bluff/KJ/clubs). I am definitely betting any river if he checks to me except mayb T. All for varying amounts.

I dont like my line looking back on it... i have FPS ;(
Old 08-05-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like my line looking back on it

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the turn semi-bluff seems pretty risky after the earlier action. I'm not sure about what to do on the flop.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:13 AM

wtf is fps??
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 AM

fps= fancy play syndrome
Old 08-05-2005, 06:22 AM

I like this better if you have more outs, and if there isn't a broadway straight on the flop for villain to have.