Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 07-23-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Gabe Thaler = Class Act

[ QUOTE ]
all i know is that he is one fugly dude

[/ QUOTE ]

Kid looks like Christian Slater.. Christian Slater with a large bubble in his forehead. Christian "Bubblehead" Slater is what I'll call him.

I agree, though, he seems cool.

Edit: Didn't see above 2 posts. Really.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the class way to react when you suck out on someone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Come on! I'm the man baby! I'm the man! That's what I'm talking about! I knew it was coming! Was there ever a doubt? I told you I would bust you! That's what I'm talking about! That's what I'm talking about!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we'll notify ESPN of your thoughts and that you approve

all i know is that he is one fugly dude

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, 1600 posts and yet you are still an [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

relax. this is the WPT forum where I like to let myself go [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt matter. You are posting on a forum that a decent amount of top players read themselves, it's incredibly bad form to comment negatively on a players physical appearance for no reason, especially when its very likely that one of their friends or the player in question reads this forum.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:29 AM

When I was first learning how to play poker I put in a lot of hours playing 15-30 at Bay 101 with Gabe. This is a long time ago. He got me to stop playing KJo from EP. One of the only guys I can say knew how to play in those games, and he was super nice and helpful to me.

I'll say he's one of the nicer human beings around, near the same level as a Tommy Angelo.

~D
Old 07-24-2005, 03:49 PM

"I'll say he's one of the nicer human beings around, near the same level as a Tommy Angelo."

Thank you for that very high compliment!

It so happens I've shared many hours with Gabe in his earlier years, at poker tables and beyond, and I like to think that maybe just maybe I'm somehow responsible for a little bit of his comportment.

Check this hand out, from only a year or two ago. $1000 buy-in NLHE game at Lucky Chances. Gabe had KK. I had QQ. I almost got off my hand before the flop. Gabe was by far the only guy I would have laid it down against at that table. But I didn't find it, and we got allin preflop for $1700 each. (I was the final big raiser.)

We turned our hands up. The flop was K-x-y. Turn: Q. River: Q.

Both Gabe and I did exactly what we would have done no matter who won the hand or why or how. Natta. Good man.

Tommy
Old 07-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Its nice to see a "good" thread like this have so many posts. I guess not everyone on here is an a**hole.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:09 PM

Great role model? Why because he acts like he supposed to? I guess this is a phenomenon. Don't get me wrong he seems to act like a gentleman. But i don't see why this is so hard to fathom for someone to act appropriately. Some of us this is 2nd nature to act this way.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great role model? Why because he acts like he supposed to? I guess this is a phenomenon. Don't get me wrong he seems to act like a gentleman. But i don't see why this is so hard to fathom for someone to act appropriately. Some of us this is 2nd nature to act this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in every day situations or your every day cash game, but in tourneys it is much more difficult in situations to keep your composure when 100's of thousands of dollars are on the line.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Or the way he would gesture like "sorry, what could I do" when he would make a good call as a dog and then suck out?"

This is not class.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the class way to react when you suck out on someone? I thought his reaction was well suited to the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Class acts to do when you suck out on an opponent

1. Yell JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the top of your lungs

2. Berate the player for calling you with a hand that was beating yours

3. Do a backflip onto the pokertable.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Gabe is one of my favorite players to watch and I hope to one day have the pleasure of meeting him in person and playing against him.