Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: California School Requiring Ebonics

[ QUOTE ]
This is ridiculously stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

im kinda surprised, and appreciative, that no one has thrown the immature racist accusation card, because i bet thats the whole reason this program is in whichever school it was.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it enough of a problem that so many people living in America already only speak a foreign language? Do we really need to create a new one to add to the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, no, it is not a problem. I believe the percentage of people who speak no English in this country is very small, and most of those unable to learn English are older and basically illiterate in their native language. Permanent residents who speak no English have had absolutely zero impact on my life, and I challenge you or anyone else to describe the deleterious effects that they, or anyone they know has experienced due to this alleged "problem".
Old 07-18-2005, 02:48 PM

The issue is not that people are teacing somebody to speak in AAVE. Originally when this came up in Oakland it's that they wanted the teachers to have familiarity with it in order to better communicate with their students.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most retarded part. Apparently Texeira doesn't know what "foreign" means. I guess this explains a lot..
Old 07-18-2005, 02:51 PM

Well, teaching classes in Ebonics/AAVL in California is a dead issue, since ESL was outlawed in 1998 (prop 227). On the other hand, they could make it a foreign language. English for English Speakers 101, complete with field trips to Watts.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, no, it is not a problem. I believe the percentage of people who speak no English in this country is very small, and most of those unable to learn English are older and basically illiterate in their native language. Permanent residents who speak no English have had absolutely zero impact on my life, and I challenge you or anyone else to describe the deleterious effects that they, or anyone they know has experienced due to this alleged "problem".

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you point, and didn't mean that is was a problem in the sense that it possesses dire consequences. If someone is content with the inablity to speak the langauge that the vast majority of the country uses to communicate, and is comfortable with the socio-economic limitations that go with that inability, I have no problem with their lack of desire to learn. I do have a problem with education systems who are supposed to be teaching people how to better themselves allowing and encouraging people to avoid learning English. That is a problem.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:52 PM

I'm saying, tell the kids "a lot of you speak this way, and that's fine. It's just a dialect like Australian English or Scots-English, and sounding like this doesn't make you stupid or anything else, but if you want to get a good job or get into college, Broadcast Standard is the language you're going to want to learn to speak and write."

That's it. I call it realistic relativism.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying, tell the kids "a lot of you speak this way, and that's fine. It's just a dialect like Australian English or Scots-English, and sounding like this doesn't make you stupid or anything else, but if you want to get a job or get into college, Broadcast Standard is the language you're going to have to learn to speak and write."

That's it. I call it realistic relativism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. Speaking in slang terms or colloquial terms doesn't make someone stupid. I live in the south and know many intelligent people who abuse English. However, the article I linked worries me because it seems as if the administrators behind this idea are saying, "This is how many of you speak, and it's fine. It's a real language and you shouldn't worry about learning anything else," and that is not "realisitic relativism." Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but as another poster stated, this is a slippery slope.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:59 PM

Warning – Possible inflammatory post!!!

This reminds me of a situation at the Luxor on my last trip to Las Vegas. My wife and I are going out and we are walking past the entrance to RA (Luxor’s nightclub). There’s a big sign out front about the dress code – No athletic jerseys, no sweats, no sneakers, no hats backwards no big bling; and there is a big line. My wife and I ask the door guy if we can just stick our heads in for a quick look out of curiosity, we had no plans to stay for more than 30 seconds. He says no; because we are both wearing sneakers. I repeat that we don’t want to stay; we just want to take a quick look. At this point the manager comes out and very politely explains that they have a very strict dress code, and that if we didn’t come right out we’d be hard to locate and people try this all the time and on and on and on.
I said “OK no big deal, but if the dress code is so strict what about those people pointing to about 10 “urban African types” wearing lots of bling, basketball jerseys over their sweat pants and unlaced sneakers (plus a few hats backwards)?”

His response (and I’m not making this up): “Oh that’s different – they’re making a cultural statement”
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

It took me a few minutes to figure it out but now I understand and it's absolutely brilliant! It's simply another step on the path to eliminating the middle class.

Never let anyone tell you that your leaders don't know what they're doing.

CRF250X