Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Multi-Table Tournaments - FAQ

Lets generate the Q and A's here, and then once we have everything, we can consolidate. I dont think its necessarily fair for one person to "come up with" the information. But collaboratively as a forum, we should be able to generate a pretty good FAQ.

I'll start listing some questions below, and will hold off from the answers til we have some great ones for each.

-What is FE (Folding Equity)? Why is it important?

-What books should I read for Multi-table Tournaments?

-What kind of bankroll should I have for MTT's to start out?

-What is the probability of <insert situation here>?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: MTT FAQ

Q1. When do I fold AA or KK preflop?
Q2. When do I fold a flopped set/two pair?
Q3. Why am I getting flamed for this bad beat post?
Q4. I copied the hand history directly out of my email into my post. Why am I getting no replies?

Q5. Why does baby jesus cry?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 PM

Question 1: Is it ever right to fold KK preflop?

Answer 1:God no, unless u ABSOLUTELY KNOW the villain has AA. Also, you can fold KK (and even AA) if ur in a satellite and can fold into the seat.

I see this question at least once or twice a week from a n00b poster. I think this has to be on the FAQ
Old 06-22-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Q5. Why does baby jesus cry?

[/ QUOTE ]

A5. BECAUSE YOU TOUCH YOURSELF AT NIGHT!! (even though thats not the actual question asked in the Family Guy episode. answer seemed appropriate though)
Old 06-22-2005, 06:38 PM

What is FE?
Why is it important?

I think that we should give links to and descriptions of twodimes and pokerstove.

What books should I read?

There are a gazillion more...
Old 06-22-2005, 06:39 PM

Q: When should I start "sweat" threads?
Q: When should I start "official" threads?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:43 PM

Ok. Good start. Now how about starting to get some ANSWERS to those questions for the FAQ.

More questions too please. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Nick
Old 06-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Q: I am always limping into the money short stacked, how do I make a final table?

Q: How often to the good players make it ITM?

Q: I only play at XXXX what other sites have good MTTS?

Q: I just watch A_plus play, he went from chip leader to busting out in an insanely short amount of time, why?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Some real stuff

<ul type="square">[*]Question 1: When should I fold AA or KK preflop?
AA and KK are the two best hands in poker. KK is behind to only AA. When you have KK, someone else will have AA at a full table approximately less than 5% of the time. It is nearly impossible to have a read good enough to determine whether someone has AA. So just get your chips in, you will probably be ahead.
[*]Question 2: Should I slowplay AA?

Most of the time, no. Slowplaying should be reserved for huge monsters that have very little chance of being redrawn on. Remember, AA is only one pair, it's not that big of a monster. So except in very rare circumstances, just bet and raise big. If anyone has anything, you will get action, and if they have nothing, you are just giving them a chance to draw out on you.
[*]Question 3. When do I fold a set/two pair?

In most cases, the answer is no (unless you have one pair in your hand and the board is paired obviously). The only time you should consider folding a set (including bottom set) is if the board is something like 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and you have 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and you are playing against tight opponents who are playing back at you. The same thing with two pair. If the board is draw heavy, don't give people a chance to draw out on you, and if someone has a better hand (like set over set), that's poker. Dan Harrington says folding a set if you suspect a higher set is nearly always wrong because if you are capable of making that fold you are probably folding the winning hand way too much.
[*]Question 4. Why am I getting flamed for this bad beat post?

Bad beats are part of poker. If you make an obviously correct play, go allin, get called, and your opponent draws out on you, that happens. People lose to one outers. People lose to runner runner perfect perfect (flopped quads losing to a royal flush or something). It happens.

People on this board will only have one of two reactions:

1) They don't care
2) They are happy

P.S. You owe the Bad Beat Police $1

[*]Question 5: I copied the hand history directly out of my email into my post. Why am I getting no replies?

Raw hand histories are very hard to read. You can find the converter here. Simply paste the history into the box on the left and copy the converted history into your post.
[*]Question 6: I posted a hand from a live tourney/from memory. Why am I getting no replies?

Hand histories typed in by hand are also really hard to read. Try to include relevant facts like blind sizes, stack sizes, how many players are left, how many pay, the complete action on every street. Don't say something like "a couple of limpers, I raise in the CO with JJ"; to say the same thing type: "UTG limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, I raise to 1200 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]"
[*]Question 7: Ok I did everything you said in the previous two questions. Now why am I getting no replies?

Most likely the reason is that you didn't include any relevant read on your opponents. Please include this, even if it's vague like "generally tight" "generally loose". More preferable is "aggressive preflop, weak/tight postflop when he misses". Even if it's just "I just moved to the table, so no reads", say that, because then we know your opponents have no read on you either.
[*]Question 8: What is the probability of &lt;insert situation here&gt;?

It's fairly annoying for us to do the math when there are tools available out there for you.

1) If you want straight up probabilites, use Twodimes

2) If you want probabilities against a range of hands, there is a great program called Pokerstove. You can find it here: Pokerstove

3) How does the difference in chip EV affect my real $EV? There is no real way to determine this for sure. One model is the Independant Chip Model. You can find information and a calculator for it here: Dethgrind's ICM calculator

4) What is the probability of &lt;insert hand&gt; preflop against &lt;insert number&gt; opponents?

GoCee has a great chart. You can find it here: GoCee
[/list]
Alright that's enough for now. I have the UBB source saved.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is FE?
Why is it important?

[/ QUOTE ]

FE stands for folding equity. It denotes the amount of money you stand to win by making a bet if all remaining players fold to your bet, weighted by the probability that it will fold around. It is also frequently used to just mean your ability to make people fold.

Folding equity is a particularly important concept for shortstacked play. Late in a tournament, your stack will become very shallow relative to the blinds (and antes, if present). If it gets too small - say 2.5 BBs - it will become nearly impossible for you to push preflop and make the big blind fold, because the big blind will be getting excellent odds to call you with any two cards. In such situations, you no longer have any real alternatives to sitting around and waiting for a hand that will stand up to a caller or two to get your money in the middle.

Consequently, people will frequently talk about making plays with stacks of 5-6 BBs to preserve FE. In such situations, it can frequently be profitable to push any two (particularly from late position) if you will be called sufficiently rarely. In a nutshell this is because the amount of dead money in the pot for you to win is such a large percentage of your stack that it makes up for the relatively rare times that you get called and end up as a substantial dog, since you have relatively little to lose in that case.