Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Why is rake so high, and why isn\'t competition driving it down?

There are more poker sites than there were several years ago, with more players, yet rake remains ridiculously high. If I 4 table 200+15 SNGs that's $60-75 an hour I'm paying in rake. The rake at the online cardrooms is as high as B&M cardrooms but you get none of the amenities. No waiters, free food, friendly staff, comfy seats, etc.

I also play online massively multiplayer roleplaying games where they charge $15 a month for unlimited play. Online games like Guild Wars charge nothing for unlimited play. These games have large development costs and high maintenance costs yet still charge far less than 1% of what I pay Party/Stars each month. What's going on here and why aren't there competing sites doing anything about it? I imagine you could profitably run a site with 1/4 the rake or less, especially if you get massive volume like Party.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Why is rake so high, and why isn\'t competition driving it down?

first, I don't think online rake is as high as B&M, though it is still very high. Also, you don't have to toke the dealer.
I assume the reason that competition isn't driving down the rake is that for the casual player rake is way, way down the list of considerations when selecting a site, and lets face it, the casual player is who you want to be playing against.

I'm guessing that if a site's major selling point was "we have the lowest rake on the net", then it might be a less profitable place to play than, for example, party.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rake at the online cardrooms is as high as B&M cardrooms . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:27 PM

That's the kind of competition Absolute is bringing in at the moment. You get a good chunk of your rake back with their never ending bonuses. Same with Bodog, for example.

On the other hand, the money goes where the fish are. Party has a terrible rake structure for their lowest limit games 0,5/1 and 1/2, but still masses come playing there every day and most posters here would rather pay 100% rake as of today to keep the (fishy) games alive than see some sites cutting back on the rake, but having no fishy customers. That said, if there were 3 or more sites with about the same player base, there would be real competition going on which would affect rake structure.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Canis582 opens a can of worms and what comes out? www.rakefree.com
Old 06-02-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rake at the online cardrooms is as high as B&M cardrooms

[/ QUOTE ]

False. Also the rake is really about half of what it apperas due to bonses and rakeback.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rake at the online cardrooms is as high as B&M cardrooms but you get none of the amenities. No waiters, free food, friendly staff, comfy seats, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Rake is not as high, in my experience. We pay more total rake online because we play way more hands/session.
2. No waiter? get yourself a wife.
3. Free food? move back in with your parents.
4. Friendly staff? get a dog.
5. Comfy seats? get a leather chair or a softer toilet seat.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the kind of competition Absolute is bringing in at the moment. You get a good chunk of your rake back with their never ending bonuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the form the 'war' will take. In a free market you can't maintain the kind of profit margins that the Poker Rooms have.

But a pure underbid doesn't work. So paying back in bonuses, paid-to-play, freerolls, free seats at b&m major events etc is most likely the form it will take.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 PM

bonuses and rakeback will rebate anywhere from 25% to 200% of your tourney fees depending on the site you play at. if you can't beat the vig at the game you're playing at, then probably best not to play at all. no one is forcing you.

your online vs. B&M argument is irrelevant since you cannot 4-table in a physical cardroom. the "amenity" of online is around the clock availability of games from the comfort of your own home. you can spend the price of one 200+15 and get yourself a nice desk chair.

I'll let others pay rake to fund advertising that brings more fish to the tables. anyone with a little math skill and the ability to use an internet search function will easily find ways to beat the system.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 PM

If I 4 table 200+15 SNGs that's $60-75 an hour I'm paying in rake.
Try playing just one.. you'll pay less rake.

..but you get none of the amenities. No waiters, free food, friendly staff, comfy seats, etc.
I too miss the amenities like stinky people, misdeals, pots pushed incorrectly, parking, waiting lists, forced moves. And, I would gladly trade my very comfy $300 chair for a $25 chair all the stinky people sit in, and the coffee machine, mini-fridge, and microwave in my room to toke a waiter every 30 minutes.

I also play online massively multiplayer roleplaying games where they charge $15 a month for unlimited play.
Party has 75K+ players every night. Only the really dumb ones (about 17K) play at the raked tables. The smart ones (the other 60,000!!!!) players play for free. Wake up you dipstick! Check out the FREE tables. Why pay rake when you don't have to!?

What's going on here and why aren't there competing sites doing anything about it?
Go play at GamesGrid.. we'll be waiting for you.

I imagine you could profitably run a site with 1/4 the rake or less, especially if you get massive volume like Party.
I imagine you're wrong.