Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Straddle? Spread Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
In the UK. We do everything differently here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be more effective so simply act like you looked at your cards and then put in the raise. Even if you don't care what they are it is typically better if your opponents think you do. But then, you guys do things differently anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 PM

I've been playing live for over a year now, and I finally lost my Straddle Virginity last night at the Caesars IN 3/6 Table on the last orbit I played (I typically play 10/20, but decided to slum it since a poker rookie friend was in town and wanted to play small stakes).

I got 3 callers and my pocket 4s held up. Whoohoo!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 PM

How to play spread limit in two sentences:

max bet!
don't slow play!

... its a bit more complicated than that, but not much more really...
Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Now one more: What is a Kill Game and usual strategy?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies.

Now one more: What is a Kill Game and usual strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Win a pot that sees a flop and you get the LEG, win the next hand with the LEG, and it is a kill. There are rules involved and can vary between rooms, ask if you are not sure. For example a normal rule would be in a 3/6 game that the pot you win with the LEG is 10xSB or $30.

Now that it is a KILL pot, the limit doubles. The SB and BB still post the normal, and you the killer posts 2xBB and acts last. So in a 3/6 game, its 6 to go instead of 3.

As for strategy, you will have to ask someone that wins more kill pots than I do. LOL
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM

Kill pot doubles the limits for the table under certain circumstances. In hold'em, kill is usually active when a player wins 2 pots in a row. Sometimes there is a size-of-pot qualifier (i.e. if youwin $50 then steal the blinds, the next pot isn't killed).

When the pot is killed, the player with the kill button must put out a blind equal to the new big blind. All bets are now doubled for that hand.

Example: $3-6 with a full kill.

You've just won 2 pots in a row and you now have the KILL button in middle position. Even though it is not your blind, you need to put $6 on top of the KILL. The blinds still put out $1 and $3 but players must come in for $6. Bets after the flop double to $12. (NOTE: if you were in the blind, your kill bet counts as your blind).

Some games are half kill. In the case of a $2/4 table, 1/2 kill pots would be played 3-6.

In Omaha H/L, kill pots are usually the result of a scooped pot. In the 5-10 Full Kill game at the Mirage, you need to scoop the pot and have more than $75 in the pot. Happens a lot, like playing 10/20. In Stud 8b Kill is usully called Scoop.

And a note on straddling: don't do it unless you don't care about your money and/or you want to piss off the table. I've never seen it referred to as a good strategy in any 2+2 book...
Old 03-31-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And a note on straddling: don't do it unless you don't care about your money and/or you want to piss off the table. I've never seen it referred to as a good strategy in any 2+2 book...

[/ QUOTE ]

good enough for me
Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 PM

Oh yeah, that's the entire reason I've ever straddled - to piss off the table.

It's often quite effective, too, especially when you have a bunch of angry old rocks at the table who are otherwise hoping that the poker game won't interfere with their reading the newspaper.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good enough for me

[/ QUOTE ]

*CLASSIC*
Old 04-01-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good enough for me

[/ QUOTE ]

*CLASSIC*

[/ QUOTE ]

i am a fountain of useless information.