Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Straddle? Spread Limit?

I've been playing online for about a year now and am planning a Vegas trip for my first live action. In reading this forum I've come across some unfamiliar terms. So what exactly do the following B&M terms mean, and what's the correct strategy for them?

<ul type="square">[*]Straddle[*]Live Straddle[*]Spread Limit[/list]Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Straddle? Spread Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing online for about a year now and am planning a Vegas trip for my first live action. In reading this forum I've come across some unfamiliar terms. So what exactly do the following B&amp;M terms mean, and what's the correct strategy for them?

<ul type="square">[*]Straddle[*]Live Straddle[*]Spread Limit[/list]Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Straddle is a bet posted UTG before the cards are dealt. If the straddle is live you get the option to raise yourself when the action is back on you. If it is not live it is technicaly simply a "raise in the dark" and you do not get the option to raise yourself.

Spread limit does not follow the usual 2/4 bet format. ie, if you are playing 10/20 all bets preflop or on the flop are ten and on the turn and river all bets are 20. in ay 2-10 spread limit game you would be able to bet any amount between 2 and 10 on any street. So preflop with blinds of 1 and 2 you could raise to 4, 6, 7, or 12, etc. If someone already raised to 6 you could raise anywhere from 4-10 (4 minimum because they raised four, and ten maximum because that is the max raise). So if you wanted you could call 6, and raise to anything between 10 and 16. It is a more common betting structure in stud than holdem.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Thanks stabn.

So only UTG can straddle?

How about strategy-wise? It seems the live straddle is quite powerful since you can reraise yourself. Is it something you should always do if your roll permits? How about image considerations?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks stabn.

So only UTG can straddle?

How about strategy-wise? It seems the live straddle is quite powerful since you can reraise yourself. Is it something you should always do if your roll permits? How about image considerations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Straddling is generally a poor strategy EXCEPT in 3 handed games, PL/NL games, or when trying to liven up a tight game.

Putting money in the pot without looking at your cards is almost always a bad idea.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 PM

Generally straddling is a bad idea, but if you are like the last 2 people I've seen straddle, you'll pick up AA or KK. If you can pick up AA or KK when you straddle then you should do it every time.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:01 PM

If you are doing a live straddle in most cases you act last from any position. I've seen people live straddle to 4 from UTG in 2-10 because it lets them act last. Say you straddle from somewhere in the middle for 10 (max straddle in 2-10), and some people on your right call, somebody on your left calls, and then somebody on your left raises. You do not act until after everybody else calls that raise, and you still have the option to reraise. I think it can actually be reraised before you act and you still act last.

Straddles can also sometimes be restraddled in line. So if UTG straddles, anybody from UTG+1 to the Button can restraddle. Generally if this is allowed straddling in a blind is not permitted, but YMMV on that.

Straddling is a nice tool if the table tightens up too much and you want to see some action, nobody respects a straddle bet. Otherwise it is a bad idea, it generally gets you labeled as overly aggressive. I like playing with guys that straddle, I just do not want them within 2 seats of me because it kills my blind limping.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've seen people live straddle to 4

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not the normal rule. The normal rule is you can only straddle UTG.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 AM

I've seen a live straddle be used effectively in the late stages of a tournament, i.e. last 2, 3 or 4 players, particularly if you are the big stack and your opponents are easily bullied.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:49 AM

Where can you live straddle in a tournament? I definitely didn't think that was allowed. Dark raise maybe, but it would not be live, you would not have the option if it got called back to you..
Old 03-30-2005, 10:22 AM

In the UK. We do everything differently here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]