Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

View Poll Results: What will poker growth in 2005 be like?
Less players than start of year 4 4.88%
Pretty flat 7 8.54%
10-25% growth 41 50.00%
26-50% growth 24 29.27%
51-100% growth 5 6.10%
More than double 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Default SS2--good value or trash?

I have been reading Super System 2 and find some of the advice quite interesting. Aside from the bio stuff, is it a bargain at $34.95? Or is the advice mostly useless unless you play really big? Take the poll below:
Old 03-16-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: SS2--good value or trash?

mikelow,

Hi. I can't give SSII a full review since I have just read parts, but on that basis I give it "good value, but. . ."

Clearly it covers some topics in just a glossy manner given the true detail that the topics merit. But for someone like me, who knew virtually nothing about Omaha/8, that chapter alone has helped m win multiples of the approximately $25 I paid for the book on Amazon. I also look forward to reading the TDL chapter by Daniel Negreanu which I hear is good. Finally, a lot of people complain that the NL section by Doyle is vitually identical to SSI. However, the fact that I had not previously read SSI and therefore had never read Doyle's famous chapter made this purchase a no brainer for me.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 AM

i voted for good value, but i didnt realize that it was you posting this thread. ive read the book and can say that its for novices. i didnt learn a damn thing. however, when i was first learning poker, i picked up SSI and thought i found jesus.

if you have ambitions to learn other games besides holdem, then this book might be good for you. i dont know, ive never read the omaha/stud/lowball/draw chapters.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19 AM

The Stud8 and Omaha Hi chapters are good, coming from a complete novice at both games. Someone who already plays g00t at thos games may think differently, but I liked them.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:04 AM

first i wanna say that i find that most poker books only help "novice players" (with the exception of the theory of poker which i would reccomend for anyone who plays the game seriously) now...i want to address SS2 specifically...i own both the supersystem books and the best part of either of them is the section that Caro writes in SS2...that section alone is worth buying the book in my opinion even for an experienced player (as long as they havent read any of caros books...as he in my opinion is the best poker mind of them all)
Old 03-17-2005, 07:12 AM

caro is a boob.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first i wanna say that i find that most poker books only help "novice players" (with the exception of the theory of poker which i would reccomend for anyone who plays the game seriously) now...i want to address SS2 specifically...i own both the supersystem books and the best part of either of them is the section that Caro writes in SS2...that section alone is worth buying the book in my opinion even for an experienced player (as long as they havent read any of caros books...as he in my opinion is the best poker mind of them all)

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I bought the book for this section only.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 AM

Most poker books only help novice players? Seriously?

Do you mean "most" like 51% of all poker books, or like all books except TOP? Because if you mean the latter, i just cannot see how that could be true. Obviously books like, say, HOH, SSH, HPAP, Inside the Poker Mind and Improve your Poker can help many players that are better than novices.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 PM

You'll find reviews of SS2 and comparisons of SS1 and SS2 in the Books / Publications forum. Just search for "Super System" and you'll find plenty.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:59 PM

ive pretty much given up on books. ive read 14 of them to date, and while they used to be a tremendous help to my game, they really arent worth my time or money anymore. most of the literature is redundant. thats not to say that books cannot be instrumental, its just that i dont consider any of the books on the market really all that helpful for me during this state of my poker career. however, if barry greenstein ever gets that book of his on the shelves, i will preorder it regardless of whatever it costs.