Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 01:12 PM

Default $25K rebuy madness

Last night's Stars $25K guaranteed $10 rebuy tourney. My table has a player who is wildly tilting, going all-in every hand, suffering some bad beats to go along with his bad starting hands, and rebuying for $20 every time he busts out. The only exception is when he would double up, then he picked his shots for going all-in. I can't even guess how many times he re-bought, but this I do know: At the first break, with over 90 tables still in play, this table had stacks #1, #2, #5, and #8. Incredible.

I think his initial strategy was that even though it might cost him some money, by going all-in so recklessly he would get multiple callers, and sooner or later when he wins he has a very nice sized stack. Of course there is a point where the cash outlay doesn't cover the potential big stack advantage, but if you hit this early on it might even be a reasonable strategy. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Or not. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: $25K rebuy madness

I know people who have played with this strategy. The one thing you didn't mention is that (assuming they don't break the table) there are more chips at the table for you to win. (I'm sure some people will argue that this is a form of chip dumping.)

Anyway, though I don't know that there are any hard statistics, most people I've talked to agree that going this wild doesn't have a positive expectation. I look forward to reading what other people think about this.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know people who have played with this strategy. The one thing you didn't mention is that (assuming they don't break the table) there are more chips at the table for you to win. (I'm sure some people will argue that this is a form of chip dumping.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct:
[ QUOTE ]
this table had stacks #1, #2, #5, and #8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this guy in going all-in all the time, everybody wants a piece of the action, and there are many multi-way all-ins. So not only is he loading up the table with chips, but eveyone else has probably re-bought more than they normally do also.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:40 PM

when 2-3 people on the table employ this it's awesome
Old 03-15-2005, 01:46 PM

The only reason that I occasionally play in this tournament is in the hopes that I end up at a table like this.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:51 PM

I actually wanted to talk about this after I took 3rd in this tourney last month. My opening table had #1,2, 5 and 7 after the first hour. The guy who did the majority of the donating was gone 15 mins after rebuy ended. In this case it didn't work out, but how often does the same guy win his first few double up attempts and has the big stack he desires. If you make the final table you are looking at a 1k or greater payout, top 3 is 4k or greater. So how often do you need to make a final table to compensate for dumping 100 a night? If you take 3rd 1 in 40 times you are near break even; 1st 1 in 100. I know those are unreasonable expectations, but then take into concideration all the times you place and get some of if not all your money back. You can start to see how it may not be too ridiculous a strategy for a good to great player.

How valuable is a big stack? Ask MLG.

-sloth
Old 03-15-2005, 03:06 PM

When I first played a rebuy tourney, as was shocked too to find these Kamikaze pilot-on-drugs players and was told that it was quite common. Some have find good success (ask Jennicide). Personally, I have only played with 3 rebuys and 1 add-on max. Granting I play a tad looser than freezeouts, I am still selective in my hand and will not push with the likes of ace-little as some players have a penchant of doing. The thing is I have yet to make the final table on these rebuys. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Players actually do this for 2 reasons. The first is the lets try and get lucky and backdoor flush or way into a big stack. The second reason is that a good player figures that this wreckless action will put a lot of chips on the table in bad players hands for him to win back after the rebuy ends and he goes back to solid poker. I don't subscribe to that idea, but its out there.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The second reason is that a good player figures that this wreckless action will put a lot of chips on the table in bad players hands for him to win back after the rebuy ends and he goes back to solid poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this to be this particular player's strategy, get lots of chips on the table. Of course, as a previous respondent noted, it all goes to hell if the table gets reassigned.

At one point he chatted to one of his railbird friends that he had about $550 in the game, and I don't doubt it. I mean literally every hand where his stack was at or under 3000 he went all-in. Pretty steep for a $10 rebuy, no matter what his skill level, don't ya think?