Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Default New/Used SUV Needed - Recommendations?

My Jeep is on its way out, and I am in need of a new ride. Definitely looking for a bigger SUV and have my eye specifically on a 2000-2003 White Chevy Tahoe Z71 with less than 50,000 miles.

I need a good amount of storage space in the back for my hobbies, carting an asston of gear around. I plan on laying the seats down in the back or removing them entirely and building a custom wooden drawer based storage box in the back for certain gear.

This SUV will be off road quite a big, nothing malicious...but expect some rough trails, some rock terrain, alot of sugar sandy terrain, some beach terrain, and LOTS of water and mud...from flatlands to mountains. 4WD IS A MUST. Also, some gear toted around during certain times of the year will be heavy and put some weight on the suspension, so there are plans for a suspension lift, nothing major 3-4", and upsizing the tires a bit. I figure the Tahoe Z71 package is a good start if I get lazy and never get around the the lift/tires...but I guess I should make a decision early and maybe save on the Z71 goodies if I am going to put lift/tires on it as I might be saving money (instead of getting the Z71 add-ons).

To give you an idea of size range...

A School Bus, although big pimpin', is TOO BIG
A Milk Truck is TOO BIG
A Suburban is TOO BIG
***I want to be in here somewhere***
A Pathfinder is TOO SMALL
A Jeep is TOO SMALL
A Geo Tracker is TOO SMALL
A Tricycle, although excellent gas mileage, is TOO SMALL

Price range is relative, but for a Z71 Tahoe 2000-2004 I'd be looking to pay in the 18-24K range. Definitely looking for under 50,000 miles.

Anyway, anyone have any other recommendations for a solid SUV in this size range?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: New/Used SUV Needed - Recommendations?

other similars might be a yukon or perhaps a durango, the older 4-runners don't have the space you need. other stuff too expensive or not rugged/big enough

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on laying the seats down in the back or removing them entirely and building a custom wooden drawer based storage box in the back for certain gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you really want a pick-up with a cap, which will save you cash and most likely be more rugged and spacious.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Don't buy ford.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
other similars might be a yukon or perhaps a durango, the older 4-runners don't have the space you need. other stuff too expensive or not rugged/big enough

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on laying the seats down in the back or removing them entirely and building a custom wooden drawer based storage box in the back for certain gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you really want a pick-up with a cap, which will save you cash and most likely be more rugged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about a pickup, but I like the side access via the 4 door SUV and the security, with the additional possibility of seating and transporting people on trips. But I'd imagine I could get pickup with a Tonneau cover...but I guess I've always liked SUVs over pickups.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 PM

I'd definitely go the GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe path. They do seem to hold their value pretty well though (KBB prices a 2002 Yukon with your stuff in excellent condition around $23k), but I'm sure there's some deals you could find out there. My (ex)gf's family swears by their combination of a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 and 2001 Yukon, especially considering their need for towing a rather large boat to the river once winter ends up here.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:33 PM

Not trolling for the GM vs Ford debate, but I drive an 04 F150 XLT, 5.4L, 4x4, all the fixins and love it. Great vehicle. Got it new for less than the OP is looking to spend on a used Tahoe.

The tailgate locks and I have a tonneau cover that clamps to the inside of the bed. Not a Brinks truck, but fairly secure. If someone wants to get into your ride, they will.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trolling for the GM vs Ford debate, but I drive an 04 F150 XLT, 5.4L, 4x4, all the fixins and love it. Great vehicle. Got it new for less than the OP is looking to spend on a used Tahoe.

The tailgate locks and I have a tonneau cover that clamps to the inside of the bed. Not a Brinks truck, but fairly secure. If someone wants to get into your ride, they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2004 F150 as well. I didn't get the big boy version, as I don't haul really heavy things. I do haul around a lot of wood/gravel/yard stuff, so rather than a tonneau cover, I went the Line-X route. NICE.

I love my truck. (I used to have a 97 Exploder I bought in 99) F150>Explorer.

A friend of mine has a Tahoe. Very nice ride, although compared to my F150, the suspension and steering seem pretty mushy. Just one opinion on the one Tahoe I've been in. I would assume the Z71 package beefs up the suspension quite a bit. Mushy steering seems to be a feature for GM vehicles though. (not a slam, Ford haters begone)
Old 03-01-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mushy steering seems to be a feature for GM vehicles though. (not a slam, Ford haters begone)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the are generally soft rides from my experience. And yes the Z71 package (towing package in particular) does beef up the suspension quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love my truck. (I used to have a 97 Exploder I bought in 99) F150>Explorer.

[/ QUOTE ]

My current ride is a 97 Explorer (sport...) that I picked up in August for 7 grand. 54,000 miles on it, actually runs like a dream. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(Don't have the money for the big ones yet, but I got mine pretty well loaded too - even though I had to add a new system to it [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])
Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM

I don't see the Explorer / Truck thing with Ford. Like ford trucks, but their suv's ,,no. Brakes too small for vehicle and too floaty a feel for the road.( I owned one for a few years)