Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: 55: Big Stacks Duel on the Bubble

[ QUOTE ]
These types of hands I tend to play more passively because I really have no intention of playing a big pot with another big stack. Since the flop has no draws I'm more likely to just check/call, then lead turn something like 1/2-2/3 pot, if raised there then I'd make the decision to call and block river or just fold turn. Since pot flop is 675, and u check/called 150, it would have been 975 on turn where u could bet 575 or so and another 900 or so on the river. This line would use about half your total stack all the way until the river and gives you 2 streets where you could fold. I honestly think the flop c/r is one of the worst options as you're bloating the pot OOP with really no idea where you're at, in addition to not getting value from whatever he's holding as only his strongest hands that beat you are going to stay in.

Edit: Oh and PF action I'm about 50/50 on calling and potting it there since most people that min raise with those stacks on bubble are donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. Missed this post as it was made literally 1 min before my own. Yeah, your line matches mine almost perfectly.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 AM

What TheUsher says seems to make sense. It makes me realize how little I know about post flop poker. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And do you play the $55's now or did everybody just move up?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These types of hands I tend to play more passively because I really have no intention of playing a big pot with another big stack. Since the flop has no draws I'm more likely to just check/call, then lead turn something like 1/2-2/3 pot, if raised there then I'd make the decision to call and block river or just fold turn. Since pot flop is 675, and u check/called 150, it would have been 975 on turn where u could bet 575 or so and another 900 or so on the river. This line would use about half your total stack all the way until the river and gives you 2 streets where you could fold. I honestly think the flop c/r is one of the worst options as you're bloating the pot OOP with really no idea where you're at, in addition to not getting value from whatever he's holding as only his strongest hands that beat you are going to stay in.

Edit: Oh and PF action I'm about 50/50 on calling and potting it there since most people that min raise with those stacks on bubble are donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post, i need to start doing more analysis on the spot like this...controlling the size of the pot etc
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the way you played it until you called the flop 3-bet. He certainly has you beat. Were you worried about metagame factors?

[/ QUOTE ]

In retrospect, that was a bad flop call.

The timer was down to 2 seconds and I clicked call in rage of not knowing what to do. I looked at again for awhile on the brick turn and couldn't decide whether to lead, push or check/fold or check/call. I checked he pushed and I stared at it again for a long while.

If I had controlled the pot size by check calling the flop this would have been much easier to play out and probably have cost me about the same.

Live and learn.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 PM

Haven't read replies yet, but you have to make your decision on the flop. That doesn't mean you have to push necessarily, but you have to know what you're doing on the turn. Obviously he's pushing... what'd you expect?

I think you played it fine pf, and the c/r is a good plan, but when he minraises that are you really hoping he has A8 that often? (I fold to the flop 3-bet). Given this action he had you crushed on the flop so often...

EDIT: Yeah, check call lead turn is a much better line than c/r. Accomplishes the exact same thing, but keeps the pot smaller and leaves you one less street to navigate OOP. I don't know how I didn't include that in my intial post.