Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 12-09-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: So what type of new poker software would you LIKE to see?

It's come up before in this forum but worth repeating for this specific thread: I would love something that calculates and displays the "M" and "Q" of everyone at my table in an MTT, preferably with the former in the appropriate colour (i.e. green, red, etc.).

Josh has explained that he isn't comfortable adding something like this to PAHUD and I can respect that.

But if someone else is more comfortable with the idea, I believe it would be quite popular.

I'd write it myself if I could program on anything beyond a Commodore 64.

And yes, I concede that it's not overly taxing to do the calculations mentally and that I shouldn't be so lazy. But then again the OP asked what software I'd *like*, not what I *should* like. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: So what type of new poker software would you LIKE to see?

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously only software that do not break the T&C of the major sites would be of long term value...

The only idea I had was a "What's he got?" predictor

Basically it would use opponent modeling combined with current hand activity and board information and show you a % break down of possible holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd be wasting your time with a "what's he got" predictor. I would expect that to be banned by poker sites. My reasoning:

We can only sensibly allow or ban a program based on what it does, not how it does it. No one would spend the time and energy to examine how a program accomplishes whatever it does, then to debate what may be slippery distinctions, and then to reevaluate how it does things in each new release.

So in this situation I think the question would have to be whether or not it is ok for a program display a prediction of "what's he got".

Perhaps people would be inclined at first glance to permit a particular program for this because it seemed to be equivalent to looking up a bunch of entries in a notebook and counting them by category. But consider, what's next? Will it still be ok if it allows in its "thinking" for whether a particular player favors suited connectors? Whether the player will call with anything on the button? Whether the player plays differently depending on specifically who it was that bet before him? Whether he plays differently in the early evening vs. late? Whether he plays differently depending on who remains to act behind him? At some point (after a lot of work, perhaps a lot more anyone even suspects yet) this program might still be doing exactly the same thing visibly as it did on day one while having become a fairly advanced AI and an obviously unnacceptable program. Getting a very good read on opponent cards is far into the difficult part of poker and if done well would give a huge advantage. Where along the line did the program change from being a fast database search to being an AI? Clearly that's where a line must be drawn.

There is no place to draw that line except at the very start. Every step after that could be small and highly debatable in itself. And no step after the first changes what the program visibly does. So I hope and expect that the start is where the line will be drawn. Any program which shows what it thinks "he's got" should be banned, regardless of whether whether it throws dice internally for what it displays or is actually psychic. It simply shouldn't be allowed, and I expect won't be.