Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Tested: did I fail or pass?

OK...it happened.
I hit the downswing [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
200BB down to be exact. The most I've had before is 150BB.
I've played over 200k hands online. I've made my living at poker since July of 2004.

In the midst of the downswing...I broke a plate (it shattered into a million beautiful pieces), broke a $10 folding chair, and scared my roommates with my outbursts of profanity. I think I also bruised the bottom of my hand as I hammered away at the junky chair next to mine.

However, I kept playing because my decisions still seemed to be pretty good. I'm now up 70BB from the dip. A somewhat nice recovery.

Did I pass or fail? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Tested: did I fail or pass?

[ QUOTE ]
Did I pass or fail?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're still in the exam.

But as long as you're playing good on your way back up, your on track to passing. I don't think a few little broken things make you fail (although I'm sure you probably tilted a bit, everyone does). Just keep up the good fight, you're obviously a proven winner.

Also, enjoy the downswing you will eventually have that's worse than this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Craig
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM

I respect that you said that you kept playing because you were making good playing decisions.

When I have an unpleasent session I always review my plays to truly understand what caused the losing session.

Also during a downswing I sometimes play a different game switching from limit to NL and tournaments. Sometimes when I come back to my main game I am refreshed and playing better.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Hmm, this sounds familiar.

You only passed if you recovered your wits and knew when you were on tilt to quit.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:20 AM

I agree. Somehow switching games helps. Some disagree saying its a cop out but I think its that your brain has to change strategies for the new game.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:23 PM

When I took a dip, I simply went to Play Money ('twas on Party Poker, don't know about other rooms) and simply became a calling machine with fake chips... to which I eventually became disgusted with my decisions and that allowed my brain to literally force itself to think more about the desicions... on that specific tilt, I saw a genuin and set colloation with hands played/fakeŁ per hr. I know this may seem obvious, but it's often the obvious that people miss when the evil cloud of doubt and tilt is liftin'... I left it another hour or so (watched TV, read a book or just kipped) before goin' back and gradually earned a good size of the dip in only a few hours.

I think if you can show your brain the bad choices you've been making, it will tend to wisen up more, you'll notice more and thus recover from a tilt faster... what you guys think?