Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 12:14 PM

Default miami trip report (NC, long)

just before thanksgiving, my job sent me to miami for a conference. this would be awesome, except that the conference was put on by the national tax association. highlights of the conference:

- middle-aged white woman, in discussing why the poor have low savings rates, "maybe low-income people think they're gonna die tomorrow. in the hood or something."

- there was a guy named riatu qibthiyyah, but the woman introducing him chickened out on saying his name. "this is jim wilson, sara klein, and riatu."

that was about all i got out of the conference.

but my ridiculous heater continued. the other people who were at the conference from my job went to bed promptly at 9 PM every night (including the 26-year old girl - sigh), so i fired up some online poker (3 mtt's total).

day 1: 23rd / ~400 in stars 150+12, 1st / ~80 in empire 100+1 for $2800.

day 2: in good shape to repeat in the empire tourney, chip leader with 15 left. one of the guys at my table went pretty deep the previous night, so he was congratulating me on winning. it was pretty cool. lost a couple flips and a big 40-60 to wind up 7th.

in the last 5 weeks i've had 7 1k+ cashes. in that stretch, including stt's, i've made over 27k. it's been pretty sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

which leads me back to the job...

or not back to the job. i've worked for close to 2 years at a non-profit that does land policy, which sounds cool, until you learn that basically everything i do is related to the property tax.

pre-heater, i was tentatively planning on quitting largely on stt income, but now that my bank account has gotten fatter, i'm definitely doing it. i've told my parents, who reacted a little better than i thought, which is to say they did not disown me.

i'm going to tell my job on monday and make friday 1/6 my last day at work. mwhahahahahaha.

thanks to all of the posters who've helped my game to the point where i can dump the 9-5.

thanks especially to che, who answered my post "who wants to look at a couple of my mtt's" back when nobody knew who i was. we swapped a bunch of hh's and it helped a ton, including getting me to realize you are not required to fold in the blinds any time you don't have AQ+/TT+.

it's a celebration, bitches!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: miami trip report (NC, long)

congratulations on the move and the kanye reference as you signed off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

thanks especially to che, who answered my post "who wants to look at a couple of my mtt's" back when nobody knew who i was. we swapped a bunch of hh's and it helped a ton, including getting me to realize you are not required to fold in the blinds any time you don't have AQ+/TT+.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhhhhhhh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

nice report man. now go on AIM more.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Awesome.

Good luck with the switch.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 PM

good luck man. dont live to work, work to live!
(as i type from my office computer and avoid work)