Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: QQ overpair hand - $200 NL

[ QUOTE ]
Why call if youre only good 10% of the time? Obviously you shouldnt. But almost everyone will anyway. I just hardly ever see anyone minimum raise the river and lose the hand.

I see people win alot more often when they min raise the river than when they make a much larger raise.

I honestly cant figure out what he has which is why Im 99% sure I would call his raise and Im pretty sure I would lose just based on long term results of similar situations.

It seems like he has the flush, but he played it strangly. You said he was goofy so that could explain his strange line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't make much sense of this post. Is the river a +EV call?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post. One question though:

[ QUOTE ]

1. If he has made flush less than King hi, check-calling is better because it costs the same as betting but I actually get to see a river when I'm drawing live

2. If he has a set, check-calling is way better because it costs the same as betting but I actuall get to see the river when I'm drawing quite live

[/ QUOTE ]

Is villain the type to NOT raise this turn with a set or flush? Because it might be cheaper to bet small on the turn to get a cheap showdown against this type of villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm basing my assumptions on the fact that strong hands like flushes and sets will raise me on the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why call if youre only good 10% of the time? Obviously you shouldnt. But almost everyone will anyway. I just hardly ever see anyone minimum raise the river and lose the hand.

I see people win alot more often when they min raise the river than when they make a much larger raise.

I honestly cant figure out what he has which is why Im 99% sure I would call his raise and Im pretty sure I would lose just based on long term results of similar situations.

It seems like he has the flush, but he played it strangly. You said he was goofy so that could explain his strange line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't make much sense of this post. Is the river a +EV call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ive said several times that I dont think it is, but I know that I would make it anyway in the heat of the moment.

I agree with your check/call turn. I think you shouldve done the same on the river.

I dont think you knew if you were making a blocking bet or a value bet (maybe it was a combination). If you had gotten raised for real, you wouldve folded. Thats why his minimum raise is a good move alot of times. However, this time I dont know if it is or not depending on what he has. If he has a flush and he min raises you might come back over the top and hes has a tough decision. If he has a set / boat, he shouldve bet more on the turn. Thats why I cant put him on a hand but Im leaning towards the nut flush based on his small turn bet that seemed to want to keep you in the hand.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:33 PM

So what happened?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 PM

Villain had 99 no club and mhig

The river seemed to be either some very sophisticated bluffing play or just stupidity
Old 12-03-2005, 10:13 PM

Fold to the river raise. The rest looks good.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: I don\'t get the line

Id say it was stupidity. Like you said, you cant fold to the river minimum raise. Nobody ever does, so theres no way he can raise like that as a bluff. So, either he thought his hand was good which is idiotic.....or he thought he could min raise as a bluff, which is idiotic.

Id say hes an idiot. NH.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:34 AM

for the people who are advocating leading turn...this is bad play for reasons scdavis stated. leading the turn gives opponent a chance to blow u off best hand/draw. on the river i prefer check call. this time u were agianst mega donk and he minraised with a hand u beat. this will often times not be the case. i think the play is check call the river as well. yea, u will miss thvalue on some meidum pp's (when they actually call) but u gain vlaue from bluffs, plus iditos value betting hand su beat. and u lose the least when behind since we are calling minraises.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:37 AM

whoa, that isnt all i wanted to say. i meant lead river against loose passives and check call against tags and lags...yea that is what i meant to say.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had 99 no club and mhig

The river seemed to be either some very sophisticated bluffing play or just stupidity

[/ QUOTE ]

Very weird indeed. Against the hand he turned out to have you really made the maximum with this line, and if you checked it to him on the river he probably wouldn't bluff at it either. I really like your turn play, I don't know if I would have played it like that myself, but I will in the future. I am still not sure about the river. I agree with Savmans analysis, bet against loose passive, against aggros check call. Your bet looks fairly weak. Would you check the turn with a set? Maybe, but you would surely bet more on the river right? It looks exactly like the type of hand you have. So given your weak lead, I think you have to call against a weird opponent, and maybe this was exactly the point of the bet amount?

Check call is probably the standard low variance play, but I don't know if it maximizes value.

NH anyway.