Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Whining Matusow, and a question

[ QUOTE ]
Matasow is a great poker player. If you can't see that, there's something wrong with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he wasn't good. On the other hand he still got to the final table primarily because he was lucky, not because of his skill. Otherwise where's Phil Ivey? Phil Hellmuth? Johnny Chan? Doyle Brunson? There's at least 20+ pro's who play as well or better than Matusow yet most of them didn't even make the money, let alone the final table.

Edit: I guess my gripe is this. Most pro's, even those who play as well as/better than Matusow, will never get to the final table of the main event but Matusow has so little class that he isn't happy enough getting there and he has to continuously cry about his "bad luck".
Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matasow is a great poker player. If you can't see that, there's something wrong with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he wasn't good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He thinks he's some kind of brilliant player but really all he did was play like a fish at a $11 SNG imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you did say he played like a fish.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: I guess my gripe is this. Most pro's, even those who play as well as/better than Matusow, will never get to the final table of the main event but Matusow has so little class that he isn't happy enough getting there and he has to continuously cry about his "bad luck".

[/ QUOTE ]

Matusow was disapointed, but wasn't completely unhappy with his 9th place finish. He left the main event table with class (for matusow). I think he acted just as good as anybody could've after the KK v AA hand. Ask anyone that's ever gotten deep into a MTT (especially the WSOP...), when you get that far you just want to win.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He thinks he's some kind of brilliant player but really all he did was play like a fish at a $11 SNG imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest editing this senttence out because it makes you look really dumb. I'm sure you were joking but these things can be hard to tell.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:44 PM

I actually don't think Matusow was that bad. Maybe he can watch his language, but other than that he had the right to tell Shiek he was wrong. I think people like Norman Chad and the media are just trying to make him look bad by saying things like "this is the old Mike, same as the old Mike." I also think he had a decent amount of class at the final table. He knew he was the favorite and that's alot of money. I would be upset too. On the other hand I hope Hellmuth goes broke. If you thought Matusow was bad last year Hellmuth's attitude towards that one guy should have gotten him a day penalty. I thought Matusow was just kidding around last year, but Hellmuth was being 100% disrespectful.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you did say he played like a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was referring to his final table play that I saw and while my comment was an exaggeration, I didn't see any plays that demonstrated a high level of skill and his preflop call with rags was fishy.

My comments about his whining were also only about the final table though I do recall the previous episode he claimed at least once that he had been getting bad cards.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched the first part of the final table WSOP and it seems like all Matusow does is whine. He thinks he's some kind of brilliant player but really all he did was play like a fish at a $11 SNG imo. The guy makes it to the final table out of thousands of players and he thinks it's due to his great play. No class at all.

"No justice when I play great."
"I played the best 6 days of my life."
After showing his 85s bluff: "I have to play great like that because I never get any cards or get a cooler (referring to his KK vs. AA)."

My question is: Do most players attribute their success in any given tournament to their great play? Do you think Hachem believes he won because he outplayed everyone or because he basically had the most luck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that's why Phil Ivey has had three top 25 finishes in the last four main events. That's why Harrington made back to back final tables. That's why Greg Raymer outlasted two ridiculous fields and almost repeated. That was Matusow's second straight deep run in the main event. There's no doubt you do need some luck to win or go deep in these things, but skill will surpass luck in the long run. Matusow is a great player with a big mouth, and if you don't like his attitude that's a whole lot different than saying he isn't a good player. He did just win the TOC and has been on a tear as of late. I don't even know what you're trying to say. It sounds like you don't think there's a big difference between the skill of a guy like Moneymaker compared to Phil Ivey.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I watched the first part of the final table WSOP and it seems like all Matusow does is whine. He thinks he's some kind of brilliant player but really all he did was play like a fish at a $11 SNG imo. The guy makes it to the final table out of thousands of players and he thinks it's due to his great play. No class at all.

"No justice when I play great."
"I played the best 6 days of my life."
After showing his 85s bluff: "I have to play great like that because I never get any cards or get a cooler (referring to his KK vs. AA)."

My question is: Do most players attribute their success in any given tournament to their great play? Do you think Hachem believes he won because he outplayed everyone or because he basically had the most luck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that's why Phil Ivey has had three top 25 finishes in the last four main events. That's why Harrington made back to back final tables. That's why Greg Raymer outlasted two ridiculous fields and almost repeated. That was Matusow's second straight deep run in the main event. There's no doubt you do need some luck to win or go deep in these things, but skill will surpass luck in the long run. Matusow is a great player with a big mouth, and if you don't like his attitude that's a whole lot different than saying he isn't a good player. He did just win the TOC and has been on a tear as of late. I don't even know what you're trying to say. It sounds like you don't think there's a big difference between the skill of a guy like Moneymaker compared to Phil Ivey.

[/ QUOTE ]

but if we attribute it all to luck, we can feel better about ourselves for not having made a wsop final table. which is nice.