Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-21-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Drawing slim to none on the turn... to value betting the river????

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>....
Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Drawing slim to none on the turn... to value betting the river????

I would fold the turn against a lot of players, but that is read dependant. I cant imagine someone is checking is a better hand on this river, so yeah, go ahead and bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:29 AM

that is one wierd ass hand.
i think you played it well..
hard to imagine something this ugly is correct, but i cant think of any better decisions.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 AM

I would 3-bet the turn, because if my hand is best I want to protect the heck out of it in this big, multi-way pot. If it is capped, I would feel comfortable about folding to a river bet UI.

The way your hand played out, I would bet the river.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold the turn against a lot of players, but that is read dependant. I cant imagine someone is checking is a better hand on this river, so yeah, go ahead and bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really have to know the players to be confident enough to believe that the better didn't pick up a draw, and the raiser didn't hit AQ or has TT and isn't trying to get rid of us. Like you said, read dependant.

How horrible is a turn 3bet? If its capped can we assume we're drawing dead, and fold to the 4th bet? Or are we better off just calling? If we call, like hero did, are we calling a single river bet?

lf
Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 AM

Yes we are definitly calling a single river bet. Just to be clear, im not saying folding is standard, just that it can be done against some opponents.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes we are definitly calling a single river bet. Just to be clear, im not saying folding is standard, just that it can be done against some opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, assuming we're willing to put in 3 bets between the turn/river, how's a 3bet on the turn sound? Then if the 2 pairs or we spike an ace we can bet the river for value. I'm not saying its right, just might be worth exploring. Is there any merit to that idea?

lf
Old 11-21-2005, 02:54 AM

I play a few thousand hands a day, so whatever reads I had at the time were long forgotten by the time I pasted this into the hand converter. I'm sorry for not having that info. At the time I was thinking I had up to 8 outs to get a better 2P or trips OR I was drawing dead to KT. Folding the turn definately crossed my mind and I wonder if I hadn't posted the river action if more would advise folding the turn...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:08 AM

There's definitly merit, i'm just squeamish because we can get capped here a lot given this board texture. I would because there are times where QJ caps us then we dont know if we can call a board pairing river. I think you played this hand fine.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 AM

In games that aggressive I don't think I can fold here, regardless of knowing the river action.

Whether its right or not, my first inclination, if I plan on showing down for 3 bets, is to 3bet the turn.

lf