Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Can you be Christian and an atheist?

This question came about from another post. I know many people that consider themselves Jewish as well as an atheist. They do not believe in god but are proud of their culture and history. They even celebrate the Jewish holidays but only pay lip service to the religious aspects. Do you think that the same can hold true for a Christian?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Can you be Christian and an atheist?

I would imagine that you could be. I am the type of person you talked about. I would say that I am jewish, and I might even go to synagogue on high holidays. At the same time, I absolutely don't believe in God, or that there is a personified higher power. I am jewish because of the cultural aspects.

If you asked me, "Are you jewish", I would say yes, and if you asked me "Are you an atheist", I would say yes.

I see no reason for a christian to be any different. Maybe he wants to celebrate Christmas, or go to church and be part of a community of people similar to him. This doesn't necessarily mean that he believes in God or Jesus.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that you could be. I am the type of person you talked about. I would say that I am jewish, and I might even go to synagogue on high holidays. At the same time, I absolutely don't believe in God, or that there is a personified higher power. I am jewish because of the cultural aspects.

If you asked me, "Are you jewish", I would say yes, and if you asked me "Are you an atheist", I would say yes.

I see no reason for a christian to be any different. Maybe he wants to celebrate Christmas, or go to church and be part of a community of people similar to him. This doesn't necessarily mean that he believes in God or Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the point - I know many people like you and me but I am not sure a Christian would be so conflicted and answer yes to both. I would like to hear from some Christians. It seems to me that if they did not believe in Jesus it would be hard for them to say they are Christian - but what do I know?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Main Entry: 1Chris·tian
Pronunciation: 'kris-ch&n, 'krish-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & n., from Greek christianos, from Christos
1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b

I celebrated Christmas when I was an atheist. I know "Jewish" people that do as well. That being said I don't know how a true christian can be a true atheist. I think christians would take offense being called an atheist, and vice versa.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:22 PM

Being Jewish is more of an ethnical definition than a pure religious one, for many different and complicated reasons. This is why one can relatively easy be a Jewish and a non-beliver. However, this distinction will not work very well when applied to Crisitianity, since Chrisitianity is first of all a matter of belief (and then, maybe, other things and social defintions and such), at least, this is how it is originally.

As a matter of fact, pure belief plays a relatively small part in Judaism, as opposed to Christianity. Judaism is much more about belonging to a certain group, and doing, constantly, what you must do (especially so for relgious people, of course). Questions of belief, that are very common with regard to Christianity, play a completely differt role, and are not "visible" (I don't have a better word) as in Christianity.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 PM

So, I am a christian (I wear a cross around my neck and go to church every sunday) but lots of people, christians and non-christians alike, tell me I am not a christian because my beliefs about God and Jesus are not the mainstream dogma. I don't believe in the diety of jesus, say, as defined by the catholics...but the ministry of jesus revealed in the gospels is central to my faith.

As someone who thinks he is working towards a broader, more inclusive definition of what it means to be christian, it feels a little funny to answer the OP's question in the negative, but I think I have to.

The definition in a previous post of Christian was one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ. Although there are lots of ways to interpret his teachings, I have yet to come across one which does not have the existence of God as a central component. I'd have to see such a reading of the gospels before I think an athiest Christian is possible.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: 1Chris·tian
Pronunciation: 'kris-ch&n, 'krish-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & n., from Greek christianos, from Christos
1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

[/ QUOTE ]

So, using this definition, the answer would be "yes":

1) Someone could believe in MOST of the teachings of Jesus.
2) Someone could believe that the Bible has flaws in it's representation of Jesus.
3) Someone could interpret the "god-teachings" of Jesus in a mystical or symbolical, rather than literal sense.

But, to be honest and candid, if you don't belive in god, then you shouldn't call yourself a Christian -- because the normal understanding of that term, includes a belief in God.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This question came about from another post. I know many people that consider themselves Jewish as well as an atheist. They do not believe in god but are proud of their culture and history. They even celebrate the Jewish holidays but only pay lip service to the religious aspects. Do you think that the same can hold true for a Christian?

[/ QUOTE ]

The British parliament passed a law which defined certain Christian schism's beliefs as athesitic the penalty for which along with blasphemy was death. The leader was burned as an atheist whilst proclaiming to the end he was a true Christian. The good old days, eh!