Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Die Hard (1) or Invasion U.S.A. (16)?
Die Hard (1) 104 100.00%
Invasion U.S.A. (16) 0 0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Is the Universe irrational?

For those who have been following recently, there have been a lot of posts concerning whether the Universe is rational or irrational. I am curious to see the results of a poll.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Is the Universe irrational?

irrational

“not governed by or according to reason” would appear to be the most appropriate usage for the context.

The only sensible answer has to be “I do not know (weather the universe is ‘governed by or according to reason’ or not)”.

“I do not know” was not in your list so I chose other.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:48 PM

Can't say I was satisfied with the poll choices I was offered.

The universe is spectacularly reliable about obeying the laws of nature at all times. This surpasses the most rational human's efforts at adhering to whatever code of logic or ethics or morals he subscribes to.

The universe meets any reasonable interpretation of "rational" that I can see - but that doesn't obligate me to agree that God created it or that there is supposed to be some 'higher purpose' to the way events unfold over time. My belief (yes, I admit I can't prove it's right, but noone's succeeded in shaking me from it either) is that everything from the existence of the universe to the way people act is neither more nor less than a logical consequence of the set of laws under which the whole system is operating.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 PM

rational
adj.

- having the ability to reason <human beings are rational creatures>

Synonyms: intelligent, reasonable, reasoning, thinking

Related Words: analytic (or analytical), logical; brainy, cerebral, highbrow, intellectual; cognitive, mental; practical, sane, sensible

================

If by "rational", one meant "created by an intelligent designer for a purpose"... then I'd have to say "I don't know."
Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who have been following recently, there have been a lot of posts concerning whether the Universe is rational or irrational. I am curious to see the results of a poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no God. The Universe has no pupose. It is susceptible to rational investigation. All observations of the Universe's properties are, I believe, subject, in principle, to rational investigation and explanation. But then I am a physicist with a biased view of the Universe!

So, I believe the Universe is rational.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no God. The Universe has no pupose. It is susceptible to rational investigation. All observations of the Universe's properties are, I believe, subject, in principle, to rational investigation and explanation. So, I believe the Universe is rational.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the universe is subject to rational investigation... I'm not sure who wouldn't. But... to me... that doesn't mean the universe is rational... the investigation would be.

To me, that would be like saying: the universe is subject to intelligent investigation, therefore the universe is intelligent.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no God. The Universe has no pupose. It is susceptible to rational investigation. All observations of the Universe's properties are, I believe, subject, in principle, to rational investigation and explanation. So, I believe the Universe is rational.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the universe is subject to rational investigation... I'm not sure who wouldn't. But... to me... that doesn't mean the universe is rational... the investigation would be.

To me, that would be like saying: the universe is subject to intelligent investigation, therefore the universe is intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to make sense of the question. If you assume God made the Universe and gives the existance of the Universe purpose and meaning it doesn't mean the Universe is rational in the sense it can think rationally and make rational decisions etc.

So i agree..if God made it and so made it open to rational investigation it doesn't make the Universe rational in that it has reason. But it can behave irrationally (contrary to what reason might expect because God can make the Universe do things contrary to natural law and so appear irrational) Miracles are irrational which is what makes them miracles not just plain following of established natural law.