Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Happy Hour JJ Hand - Overthinking?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed he could be pushing with a bigger pair.
How would he be in a 60 40 situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Say the other guy's range was QQ-99 and AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would never dismiss the possibility of AA-KK, add in QQ-TT and AK and we're about a 60/40 dog (if I wasn't clear, I don't think we're a favorite in this situation. If I did, it would obviously be a call).
Old 09-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

You're likely either coin-flipping or you could be dominated. As much as I hate laying down to these large stacks who are hyper-aggressive, you can wait for a better spot. With blinds at 25/50 you've still got room to manuever.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Happy Hour Hand:

Villian has a huge stack of 5k (Probably 1st or 2nd overall) in Happy hour, with about 70 people left. Blinds are 25/50. I have 2300 having just doubled up with a set. Villian in this hand has shown the ability to call with a wide range preflop to try to hit hard. I'd say neither donkish nor supertight/good.

2 people limp (Not unusual) and I raise to 250. The SB (Villian) goes allin for 5k.

My pea sized brain says "Self, who the hell would play it that way unless they have AK or MAYBE 99 through QQ? Call that nut." I call.

Standard? Overthinking? Donkish? What do you do there?

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Overthinking. You may likely be against AK or AQ, I think those are teh most likely considering he pushed. I can't see laying down here.

If you *just* won the double up hand, people like to do this because they automatically think you're bluffing b/c you just won so much. In other words they're thinking "there's no way he has a group 1 twice in a row, it's just impossible, I'm playing back at him". I can't see not calling, partially for that reason.

edit: everyone's saying to lay down b/c of the type of tourney, sounds like that's a good argument and I guess you have to go by your feel on that.