Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Straddle? Spread Limit?

When someone else has straddled, and no one else has called before you, it's generally best to either fold or raise. Even more so than when there isn't a straddle since when there is a straddle there is more money already in the pot than usual.

Many players who straddle will almost always raise when it gets to them, no matter what they have.

I've been in games where 3 wild players would straddle whenever they had a chance. So that in a 2-5 spread limit game with one $2 blind there would be the $2 blind, then straddles of $7, $12, $17. Then one or two of the straddlers would raise - to see the flop, you'd sometimes have to put in $27, then only be able to bet $5 max in any round of betting. That is called a wild game
Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Straddle, re-straddle, and double-re-straddle

Straddle - do this when you are good and drunk. It's going to be "live" here in vegas, which means it's another blind, and you can pointlessly jack it up some more when it comes to you by raising yourself again. You're basically buying last action, and the right to make it three bets before the flop, no matter what.

re-straddle - do this when the guy on your right straddles. It's not live, but it does attain the goal of pointlessly jacking up the pot some more if the straddler doesn't reraise himself.

Double-re-straddle. Do this after your 12th redbull and vodka at MGM in the 6-12 game when there are two Magoo looking las vegas dealers who also post on 2+2 in your game who have already straddled and re-straddled.

Open-cap - do this when it's straddled, re-straddled, and double-re-straddled and you are the first one to act who doesn't have money in the pot already and you have pocket aces.*

al

* all this actually happened last monday night at MGM on their opening night! 2+2=Super-Magoo!
Old 04-02-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Straddle, re-straddle, and double-re-straddle

Aye, this all happened.

We opened a 6/12 game up with 3 of us and 4 or 5 other guys that showed up. Well I start UTG. I live straddle to 12.

Al on my left raises immediately to 18. 4 calls, I call to "Defend my straddle BLIND!" (well thats what I told the table.
Flop 10 9 7 rainbow. I check, al bets, 2 calls, I call.
Turn 6, I check, Al checks, MP bets out 12, I checkraise to 24 and said I raise BLIND. Al folds, MP calls.
River 2. I bet 12, MP calls.

Photoc shows 8 2 offsuit for 10 high straight. MP angrilly tosses cards and says..."how the F do you play that [censored]". I just shrug and said...I played blind!