Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 02-09-2005, 11:26 AM

Default AA did I raise enough?

I was playing a 20+2 MTT the other night on party and I went out with pocket aces, It was pretty much my own stupid fault for not thinking before clicking the call button... I guess I wont do that again. Anyways here's what happened
I HAVE T5000, And villain has me slightly covered, I think the average chip stack at that point was about 2400 maybe.

I was in middle position with A-A, Blinds are 50-100, UTG2 raises to 350, I raise to 850, Everyone folds UTG2 calls,
POT=1850
FLOP 2c-kd-9s
UTG2 checks, I Bet 1700, UTG2 check raises all in.....!
And guess what? I call. What would u guys have done? I should have folded, and I think I would fold over and over again, I didnt know the player to well he had just moved to my table.. Let meknow what you guys think
thanks
john
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: AA did I raise enough?

This early in the tournament, you pretty much have to call here. Your opponent will have AK, KQ, KJ, QQ, JJ, 1010, or pure crap often enough that you can't fold an overpair on this flop.

Preflop: Yes definitely raise more, as much as you like, but you'll still get called. Personally, I'd make it 1000 - 1200 or so.

Offhand I'm guessing that you lost to pocket 2's.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM

I think your pot-sized raise here is pretty standard. If villain wants to call it, you've got the best hand in Hold 'em, so that's okay.

The CR all-in is worrying here, to be sure. If the flop came monotone, QJT, or something equally dangerous, you might CONSIDER laying it down, but the CR all-in could be a number of hands that you beat, or if he's tricky a pure bluff. If you're holding AK, you've got a tough decision on your hands, but AA? Call and expect to win most of the time.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:01 PM

That's what I was thinking at the time as well, He had poket 9's.. But after I thought about it for a bit, I thought I should have folded... I feel like I could have still placed good in the tourney if I hadnt gone out there, Isnt that more Important than maybe doubling up especially when faced with your tournament life??
Old 02-09-2005, 04:22 PM

When playing this type of hand are you trying to raise enough to push people off lower pocket pairs or are you trying to build the pot up. I've seen AA get beat a lot by pocket pairs and if I get check raised I am very careful worrying about the trips.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 PM

Yeah when I'm betting the pot on the flop I want to take it down right there. I dont know why I called?? I think its the whole pocket aces syndrom... just couldnt let them go, i'm going to have to work on that I guess.