Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Folding Pocket Aces

I was looking through my PT database and saw that AA does not profit me as well as it should. When looking over some hand histories, I came to discover that in some cases I called to the end when I probably shouldn't have and it turned out to be very costly. I was wondering what convinces you to dump aces before showdown?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Folding Pocket Aces

When pot odds don't warrant a call. Vague questions get vague answers.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:40 AM

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB, 10 handed

All limp to SB, who completes, hero raises, all call.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, hero bets, six calls, CO raises, Button 3-bets, SB caps, Hero .........?

What, you called??!?!?! Ok, all fold to CO who calls 2, Button calls

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, Hero calls (?!?!?!) CO Raises, Button 3-bets, SB Caps, Hero ........????
Old 11-30-2004, 11:00 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

...calls. Hero checks the river with the intention of check-raising when the Qd falls.
Stupid hands deserve stupid answers.

To the original poster, fold when you're pretty confident you're beat. Post some hand histories and you'll get better responses.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...calls. Hero checks the river with the intention of check-raising when the Qd falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please PM me and let me know when and where you'll be playing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 PM

Offshoot, ty for the suggestion. Here's a few:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (13.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

I'm looking mostly for advice with the turn call after the raise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Both hands look reasonable, if there's only one player showing aggression on a three suited board, IMO, u should call him down. On both hands, some reads would help, but without them, I think u played these hands fine.
Start with the easier hand, #2:
No way u can fold to the turn raise with a redraw to the nuts. Then for one bet on the river, it's a fairly easy call with the poit laying ~10:1. But perhaps, I'm just a hopeless calling station.
#1: MP2 looks to be waiting for a safe card to get more money in the pot on the turn with the c-r. This move would make sense with either a flopped set, TP, or a low flush. I think most people would slow play the flopped nut flush in this situation and keep others in. MP1 seems like a big club (A?), so I would fold the river if the fourth club hit, but otherwise it's a tough decision. I would lean toward calling down, but i think it's opponent dependent.
Hope that helps and I hope people with more experience can chime in.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:41 PM

I play hand #1 the same way. People do strange things w/ 3 flush flops. I'd call it down.

Hand #2 would be a fairly easy fold against the turn raise IF you didn't hold the nut spade.

Your river call I think is more questionable since you're probably up against a minumum of 2 pair.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:11 PM

I play these hands the same... Someone holding KQ with the K of spades would raise u on the turn... maybe even KT... because of your nut spade draw, that gives you 11 possible outs with the two other Aces... you may already be ahead, and you have the nut flush draw with 7 outs to even beat a made flush. I call this on the turn and I dont fold for one more bet on river just in case the opponent happens to have KK, KQ, or a failed draw...