Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 PM

Default 88 on button w/ 2 limpers

This was from an online college freeroll so the players in general dont seem very good. I just lost a good amount of my stack a couple hands ago. There are usually at least a couple limpers each hand. Mostly weak play after the flop. And the big stack (SB) has been trying to push people around (cheaply at that) We are 10-handed. Blinds are 25/50

Preflop: Hero is button w/ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG (t1285) calls
UTG+3 (t450) calls
folds to hero on button
Hero (t850) raises to 200
SB(t8225) calls 200
UTG calls 150
UTG+3 calls 150

Should I have pushed? Or called?...looking back at it I think it looks better than a 4x BB raise...my M was still at about 11 or 12...just in general what's your play here?

Flop (t800): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets 200
UTG folds
UTG+3 folds
Hero?

I really dont think I have the best hand here...but I really cant push him off of anything with a push...does one fold?...that just doesnt seem right...I think because I put myself in this situation by not pushing PF
Old 12-06-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: 88 on button w/ 2 limpers

Ehh, most likely you're drawing to 2 outs. Fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:28 PM

I'm more interested on what you guys would have done preflop...with 2 limpers and the blinds still to act?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM

i don't hate a push PF, but i'd almost always limp here.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 PM

I'd probably play it your way half the time and limp half the time. Not to randomize my play, just because I have no idea what's correct.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 PM

I don't think I'd ever raise there preflop against the type of players you're describing. I might with 99, and would with 1010. And yes, dump it on the flop.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Small pairs don't play well multi-way unless you flop a set. With a small pair you want to be heads up against one guy and all in, if you don't have the stack size to manuever postflop.

So that's why you'd want to push or a fold here w/ the limpers. Cause you really don't want to make a big pot with overcards on the flop.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 PM

Fold the flop.

Preflop limp. Playing for a set isn't bad and you have position. If you are going to raise, push or make a larger raise. 88 is not that much better than whatever they are limping with. There is no sense bulding a pot. Also you are opening the action for a limpraise.