Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 11:44 AM

Default LC: Against a raise and a reraise . . .

Often, I sit there (say, on the button) and there is a raise, reraise, and caller before me and I look down and have 62o or some junk. Often, the hand plays out and a 6 and 2 show up on the board or 345xx or 22xxx or whatever.

I know Mason wrote an article debunking the concept of bunching in holdem, but I think that often if there are, say, three before you in a reraised pot, you can reasonably assume that the deck is going to have more low cards than high cards and so the chances of you hitting a good flop - and raking in alot of chips from implied odds - are pretty good. So maybe, just maybe, you don't need AA/KK against a reraise.

Just my observation - I have no stats/math to back it up. Rambling about what I see at the tables.

Lock this thread if you feel it's pointless.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: LC: Against a raise and a reraise . . .

No, that's complete nonsense. I think you are just being results oriented.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, that's complete nonsense. I think you are just being results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. Just throwing it out there.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM

I mean maybe in an MTT you could make an argument for doing this, I know a certain Mr. Negreanu likes to, but in an SNG your chips are so shallow anyway 99% of the time that pissing them away like this is just a bad idea. You won't hit enough flops to get paid off enough, and in the long term it'll be a huge drain. Remember that every chip you lose is worth more than every chip you gain. With 10,000 chips at 10/15 blinds this is much less of an issue to lose let's say 80 to a raise and re-raise, than with 800 or 1000 in the same situation. It's already a tenth of your stack with 800! Also when you've doubled up or something early then you want to keep the 100 for pushing people around when the blinds are meaningful, so it's not a good idea to do it then either.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean maybe in an MTT you could make an argument for doing this, I know a certain Mr. Negreanu likes to, but in an SNG your chips are so shallow anyway 99% of the time that pissing them away like this is just a bad idea. You won't hit enough flops to get paid off enough, and in the long term it'll be a huge drain. Remember that every chip you lose is worth more than every chip you gain. With 10,000 chips at 10/15 blinds this is much less of an issue to lose let's say 80 to a raise and re-raise, than with 800 or 1000 in the same situation. It's already a tenth of your stack with 800! Also when you've doubled up or something early then you want to keep the 100 for pushing people around when the blinds are meaningful, so it's not a good idea to do it then either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I've never had the balls to do it and it makes sense not to try the more I think about it.