Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Default KK hand vs. tight-passive-passive player

It is NL100 on UB.

I am in cutoff and the guy before me raises to 4.50 (the pot after one limper). Now after 80 hands with this guy, this is only the third time he raised and I never saw the other two. I was immediately afraid of AA. In almost all situations I pot it here ie. $16. Stack sizes are me with $150, and him with $90. My own personal comfort level is to never lose more than $60 in a pot. That is why I buy in for $50 in NL100. Usually when I get a very large stack I play a bit scared (and try to keep the pot sizes smaller) which is bad. I should just get up and move to a new table.

Anyhow, I chose to just call and see what develops on the flop (mistake 1). 2 more callers behind me (oh well). I still have position.

Flop comes 3 5 8 with two diamonds. I am happy with this flop since there is no ace. The other cold callers both check and he bets 10 (half the pot) and I call (mistake 2). The cold callers both fold and we see the turn. I should have raised right here to find out where I was at.

Turn is an offsuit 7. He checks. This makes me happy. He probably sees me as a SLAA and might fear a set here. I still think he has an overpair, but now I feel I am safe 4/5 times if he has either TT JJ QQ AA or even AK.

I now bet $25. I am happy with this bet. I feel like I can lay my hand down if he pushes over the top for 60 more, yet it is enough to both charge him and see where I am at on the turn. He calls, which is fine, as long as he did not raise.

River is a J diamonds. I do not like this river at all, because after the way the turn was played I increased the liklihood of him having JJ. He now moves in for his remaining $55 and I start thinking.

I don't think long and I feel like I am owned here by JJ. I fold and show, hoping he will show me too. He shows A6 diamonds for the nuts! He was 40%/60% on the turn so I can't blame him at all for how it was played.

<u>Qustions for discussion</u>

1) Besides raising preflop, how would you play this differently?

2) Would you lose your stack on the river here (honestly)?

3) What amount would you bet on the turn and why?

4) Any suggestions about getting over my fear of losing more than $60 in a pot? This is ultimately what caused the error in the first place. I will never be able to move past NL100 or 2-4L if I can't get over this reluctance.

This is the 4th disappointment I have had with KK this week. This is the second time it was my fault, the other two were ridiculousness of opponents.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: KK hand vs. tight-passive-passive player

bump
Old 11-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: KK hand vs. tight-passive-passive player

You cant get full value out of your hands if you do not have a full stack (50BBS) at the table. If you are money scared this limit is not for you, move down and fix wholes in your game so you money isn't an issue. If you play good poker the money will be there.

Yes. Raise preflop, i wont talk about this since you already realized it was a big mistake. On the flop you have to raise here, one to get out any draws [ex. diamonds] and two to see where you were in the hand. If you came over the top you can feel good about your lay down in move on but a TAG just calling with AA/set?, seems very unlikely to me in which case i probably would have put him on the diamond draw and would have made him pay dearly to see the cards he wanted.

Dont be money scared, it happened to me once when i moved up to 100NL and went on a -5 buyin with bad play. Moved down fixed wholes and now im playing my A game all the time there.