Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 06:26 PM

Default A couple flush draws... How to disguise them?

I know it's usually bad form to post more then one hand at a time but just ignore the second one if it bugs you.

I'm just curious how aggressively you all play your flush draws. Do you pot the turn? This is my real question I guess. I either make a blocking bet or check/call the turn which often feels weak and definitely telegraphs my hand. I wouldn't bother posting hands but I know if I posed this as a general question, people would ask for examples. Consider all opponents as unknowns.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($51.37)
CO ($85.8)
Button ($49.25)
SB ($88.95)
BB ($49.5)
UTG ($40.5)
UTG+1 ($67.9)
MP1 ($49.95)
MP2 ($48)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.75</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.25, CO calls $1.25.

Flop: ($7.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO folds, Button calls $3, SB folds.

Turn: ($13.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($25.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, Button calls $18.

Final Pot: $85.50

<font color="red"> Hand #2 </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($53.7)
CO ($27.25)
Button ($24.6)
SB ($53.25)
BB ($61.85)
Hero ($86.65)
UTG+1 ($33.1)
MP1 ($67.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2.

Turn: ($6.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($10.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $13.75
Old 04-10-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: A couple flush draws... How to disguise them?

Honest Question: Are these hands just totally uninteresting or did I play them just fine? It's probably the former.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:47 PM

I'll usually bet the turn against a player that I think can drop top pair, or if I have a few more outs than just the flush. Sometimes I check/fold, and rarely check/call, but I usually bet it again.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honest Question: Are these hands just totally uninteresting or did I play them just fine? It's probably the former.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are kinda interesting, but they were not played well
Old 04-10-2005, 09:58 PM

1st hand I guess you bet 3 on flop / then turn to price yourself in. fine, whatever, higher limits this sucks, this limit it's great. Once you get raised on river just push. (although I think your reraise was almost all in?)

2nd hand actually was played fine =)
I would bet more on river though, get as much as you can from an oddly passivel played AJ AA KK QQ and forget about hopefully small pair / weak jack / ace high calling your bet. Go for the gunzos.

I like the flop stab too, this board is great to lead into raiser.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st hand I guess you bet 3 on flop / then turn to price yourself in. fine, whatever, higher limits this sucks, this limit it's great. Once you get raised on river just push. (although I think your reraise was almost all in?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, re-raise was almost all-in. Shoulda pushed. OP was slowplaying a set of kings like a doink.

At higher-limits (looking to move up), since pricing yourself in like this might be analgous to just showing your hand to the table, what are some better lines? Pot the turn? Check-raise the flop? Overbet the flop? Looking for ideas I guess. Maybe I've answered my own question but I want to tune up my flush draws so they aren't so damn transparent.

Thanks for the thoughts Bobbo and Edge.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 PM

does anyone else find that their straight draws get paid off WAY more than their flush draws against decent opponents? (not great, but average or above average). It seems that people are always looking out for the flush, and unless there is a 4 card straight on the board, they are not looking for the straight.. its gotten to the point where i much rather play OESD (assuming they are opended ended because I am holding two cards needed for the straight) than flush draws, even with the 1 less out and possible flush domination...
Old 04-10-2005, 10:44 PM

Of course, man [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Straights are a lot harder to catch. Flushes are incredibly easy to spot. If you play all of your flush draws the same way (check/call, bet out when you hit; check/call, checkraise when you hit; lead all the way), it becomes too obvious. You have to mix it up, and do the same thing with straight draws.

Straights and sets/boats are the best ways to win big pots in NL. Flushes are much easier to avoid.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 AM

Hand 1: Bet more on the river. Push all in when villian raises. Other than it is fine. I'm probably ditching this preflop to the raise, but it's playable.

Hand 2: I'm potting the turn or raising his weak ass turn bet. He has nothing.