Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 PM

Default AQo against LA-P fold the turn?

Hello all,

Villian is LA-P,

i think my fold on the turn was correct what you guys think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Tx
Old 08-09-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: AQo against LA-P fold the turn?

If you are so sure your opponent has a king, why do you call the raise on the flop?

-ropey
Old 08-09-2005, 08:49 PM

11:1 on improving on the turn, a Q should be good most of the time and an A will be often as well. Plus sometimes he just has a flush or straight draw and decides to take a free card, which sucks but we don't fold the best hand.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:55 PM

Ok, I guess you do have the odds...

-ropey
Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Is the opponent crafty enough to raise for protection. Either way, I can't be sure he has a K which means I three-bet for three reasons: 1. potential value, 2. feel out his holding, 3. retain control. If he's a TP I may then check the Turn for the reverse free card.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a TP I may then check the Turn for the reverse free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is that?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:06 AM

Hm ,
i think my question is not awnsered.
Do you guys think the fold was ok or should i call down.

Greets
Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 AM

Both the flop and turn play is fine in my opinion. Given your read on the player he isn't semi-bluffing a draw enough times to warrant calling down. I would put villain on a pair of Ks or greater and thus folding the turn is acceptable.

On the other hand, I think there is also an argument for calling in an attempt to catch two pair. If you anticipate villain leading the river, you will have implied odds of 9-1 to catch two pair (assuming you raise and he calls). I feel this is sufficient to attempt to outdraw him as your outs will be good a substantial amount of the time. Hence, I would assume you have just under the full 5 outs. I think there is also a secondary advantage with this line, and that being he may check to you if he has a busted flush draw. This would allow you to take down the entire pot and is a great added benefit. The only problem I can foresee with this line is villain may not bet the river when an A falls. Note: With this line you cannot call the river unimproved, as I feel you have insufficient effective odds to do so.

Overall, I think you need to consider the following two issues before deciding to call or fold. The first being, how often he will lead when an A falls on the river. And second, the probability he is on a flush draw. This is where an accurate read is paramount and will assist you dramatically in reaching a decision. I would probably fold vs. a passive straight-forward player conceding that it isn’t likely enough he will bet the river when an A falls and that he will very rarely have a draw. So after all that, I’d probably fold. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hm, i think my question is not awnsered.
Do you guys think the fold was ok or should i call down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of this depends on how good your LA-P read on Villian is. If I raise the flop on a draw/free-card play and the pot goes from 4-ways to HU - I'm firing again on the turn around 95%+ of the time.