Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Modern violin music?

So I'm listening to Akon ft Miri Ben-Ari - Miss Melody and I love the violin portions of it. I'm looking for non-classical, non-celtic, non-country violin music. I really like this mix of Akon and violin. I don't know if there is much of this type out there.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Modern violin music?

Are you thinking of rock songs with violin parts? That's as close as I can get you.

Beulah - Emma Blowgun's Last Stand
Queens of the Stone Age - Mosquito Song
Vast - Don't take your love away from me

edit: Godspeed You Black Emperor probably has more violin than any other band I can think of.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm listening to Akon ft Miri Ben-Ari - Miss Melody and I love the violin portions of it. I'm looking for non-classical, non-celtic, non-country violin music. I really like this mix of Akon and violin. I don't know if there is much of this type out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I'd be able to contribute quite a bit in this thread, with Violin being among my favorite instruments, but most of the stuff I have is Classical, Celtic, or Bluegrass... Here is a suggestion, though, you may want to check out anything solo from Jean Luc Ponty, or anything from Mahavishnu Orchestra. While it was Jerry Goodman, and not Jean Luc on Violin at the time, Mahavishnu's Bird's of Fire has some incredible violin on it, and should definitely be checked out.

I'm not farmiliar with this album you're listening to now, but you can bet if you say it's got some good Violin I will check it out. I've got quite a bit of music featuring Violin/Fiddle, so I'll post again if I have anything with a similar sound.

If you feel like giving a chance to some different Violin stuff a chance, I'll recommend Serras, a fiddle driven proggressive Dutch band. Very good unique sound.

Edit: Serras has some free MP3's on their website (www.serras.dk) Here's some links if you, or any fans of the instrument, feel like checking them out:
http://www.serras.dk/Audio/K2.mp3
http://www.serras.dk/Audio/01.mp3

Edit 2: I think I may have been way off with my recommendations. I've got one that's a bit closer I think in "Zox", a Funk/Ska/Fusion band out of my home state, Rhode Island. Here's their spin on Pachelbel's Canon:
http://www.zoxband.com/mp3s/zox%20-%20canon.mp3
Old 12-31-2005, 07:33 PM

Check out Laura Cortese
Old 12-31-2005, 07:34 PM

Try out Dirty Three. I believe they're all instrumental post-rock and use a lot of violin.