Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Blinds Battle at the Bell

30/60 at the bellagio a couple weeks ago. I am down alot but not steaming. Should have a TAG image.

Table was fairly loose but this time its folded around to me on the button, where I sit with KK.

I have tried to steal once or twice on this guy, but not all that much, i think i won those hands without going to showdown. He was a younger guy, pretty good player, a slight LAG, and up alot of money. He had a hint of arrogance like he thought he was much better than the rest of the table, although to me it seemed like this was one of his first times playing this high. He was acting as if he was just outplaying everyone, when in fact he was just mostly getting great cards to hold up.

I raise, SB folds, He 3-bets, I call.

FLOP:

Ace rag rag (rainbow)

He bets, I raise, he calls.

TURN:

rag (no straights, completes rainbow)

He checks, I bet, He raises, I...?

ugh.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Blinds Battle at the Bell

Why would you raise an Ace-rag-rag flop? Not many hands can semi-bluff the ace when its accompanied by rag rag. I think he's gotta assume you have an ace here a lot. I would call down, possibly betting if checked to.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:07 PM

The notion of not 4-betting the second best starting hand in a steal situation where I will get 5-bet a lot I find unfathomable.

The flop makes for a pretty simple call/call/call IMO.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you raise an Ace-rag-rag flop? Not many hands can semi-bluff the ace when its accompanied by rag rag. I think he's gotta assume you have an ace here a lot. I would call down, possibly betting if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

he could have many pocket pairs smaller than mine. i am raising for value and to see where im at.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he could have many pocket pairs smaller than mine. i am raising for value and to see where im at.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you are raising for "devalue" when he actually does have an Ace. I would say there is a decent chance he has an Ace or will fold a worse hand if you raise and thus calling down is better. Let him bluff away his small pp and not knock out his two outer. Also you don't invest a ton of money on your two outer. And cap this preflop.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The notion of not 4-betting the second best starting hand in a steal situation where I will get 5-bet a lot I find unfathomable.

The flop makes for a pretty simple call/call/call IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, if i am not going to 4-bet, its a much better line to call/call/call.

however, if i do 4-bet and he just calls...

FLOP:

He checks, I bet, he raises....

still call/call/call now?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however, if i do 4-bet and he just calls...

FLOP:

He checks, I bet, he raises....

still call/call/call now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Works for me against the player you describe.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:43 PM

Standard line on every street by him if he has a decent A. I don't like raising the flop with an A here is if he's a good player who can find a fold even with a piece of it. This seems like a good spot to raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet. He'd likely call the turn raise and but not the river UI .
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense, not even a little. If he has a smaller PP he's going to fold once you represent an ace, so all you're doing is giving him an idea of where he's at, and giving him an easy way out of a small PP.

I call all streets here, and bet only the river when checked to. I don't see any other way to play this hand post flop.

lf
Old 12-30-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense, not even a little. If he has a smaller PP he's going to fold once you represent an ace, so all you're doing is giving him an idea of where he's at, and giving him an easy way out of a small PP.

I call all streets here, and bet only the river when checked to. I don't see any other way to play this hand post flop.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.