Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Default ISOP Cancellation

I'm sorry we haven't been around the forums lately. There has been a ton of work to be done to try and hold the ISOP together that consumed all our available resources, and we haven't had anything concrete to report anyways.

It saddens me to announce that the ISOP is canceled effective immediately. We worked very hard and spent much capital on delivering a premier event to take advantage of this poker boom. Unfortunately, several sites who committed to the ISOP have pulled out at this 23rd hour and we are also having severe contract problems with current sponsors. I have been ill recently and I would like to thank my partner jek for working double duty to try and resolve these issues, but after a thorough review of the current "State of the Union" I am now completely caught up, and jek and I have jointly determined that this diluted series that is still far from resolved of its problems, is no longer a viable or attractive event to the player pool we had hoped to attract.

We apologize to all, especially Chuck and Mason who believed in us so deeply. Their assistance to get us to this point was a statement of faith in us that makes this all the more difficult. The ISOP forum has been dismantled and all contracts are now null and void.

We have poured our heart and souls and finances in this, but we are down to only 5 rooms, 5 poker rooms does not an ISOP make and therefore we are ending the concept effective immediately. We apologize to those that spent time in creating your marketing tools but this can't be salvaged. We deeply apologize to Chuck Weinstock especially and want to thank him for all of his technical assistance, hard work and guidance.

Deepest Regrets to all,

Granny Mae
jek187
Old 02-19-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: ISOP Cancellation

Too bad, I'm very sorry to hear that. Good luck in future endeavours.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:30 PM

Well that sucks. Sorry guys.

[ QUOTE ]
5 poker rooms does not an ISOP make

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
It seems like it might have been better to begin with holding the events on a smaller number of sites. Maybe I just don't understand some of the business aspects here.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:40 PM

It really is a shame that those sites pulled out at the last minute. You guys did a great job getting this series together.

I hope you keep these juices flowing. Ideas like this one are hard to come by.

-2kF
Old 02-19-2005, 11:46 PM

Why won't 5 sites be enough? 2 on each, and then the 2 sites with the biggest turnouts get the final 2. I don't know anything about this except from a post from a while ago, but I'd be happy to throw in some creative ideas if you still had some hope of making this happen. I don't know where everything stands from a business standpoint, but if you PM me I'd be glad to brainstorm something for you.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:03 AM

I'm sure that it matters greatly which 5 sites - an ISOP with the 5 sites being Pokerstars, Paradise, Party, Pokerroom and Prima is probably a pretty viable thing. On the other hand, the ISOP headed by like Jetset poker and Full Tilt poker or the like just really isn't going to be much of a draw, at all..
Old 02-20-2005, 12:08 AM

What are the sites that pulled out.. maybe there needs to be hell to pay!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:59 AM

Well thanks for the hard work. I was interested in participating but not in playing at Royal Vegas, and I am sure issues like that are a contributing factor to the demise. Maybe it was a bit ahead of its time and can be reborn down the road.

Thanks again for all the effort you both put into it.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it was a bit ahead of its time...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the exact details of what went wrong to result in this decision, but I suspect this is exactly the case.

Online poker is still in its (relative) infancy and many of the sites are still fighting to establish themselves in the marketplace. It seems they aren't quite ready to cooperate for the greater good because it would mean putting aside their own site oriented agendas and working with their competitors in a stage of the game when perhaps it isn't in their best interest (as a business) to do so.

[ QUOTE ]
...and can be reborn down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certain that jek and granny will make this become a reality when the situation is more favorable. In the limited amount of time I worked with them on this over the last few weeks I know this idea is something they believe in whole-heartedly, but I also know they want to do it correctly. I think their willingness to take a bath on their initial investment (which was a considerable amount) rather than launching a crippled version of the ISOP is a testament to that fact. They don't want the ISOP to just "happen" they want it to be an enormous success and are willing to wait for a better hand to play rather than going all-in right now.

It's a very brave decision that many of us probably wouldn't be willing to make and we should support them for making the right choice, regardless of the consequences. In time (when the poker economy stablizes a bit more and the sites are more receptive to cooperating amongst themselves) I'm confident we'll see the return of the ISOP, it will be worth the wait.

Peace,
J
(My last post as ISOP Media Director [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 02-20-2005, 04:58 AM

If I ever win a large amount in a tourney, some of it is going to this idea. The ISOP is a goldmine and generally is wanted by 99% of internet players, don't worry folks, it's time will come!!!
~Justin