Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:15 PM

Default NL50 AA facing all in on the river

Villain was 33.5/9.2/1.75 after 170 odd hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($69.27)
CO ($59.70)
Button ($45.89)
SB ($47.70)
BB ($27.21)
UTG [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]villain)($73.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG :#A500AF(villain)/ raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $5, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG :#A500AF(villain)/ calls $3.

Flop: ($15.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button folds, villain calls $15.

Turn: ($45.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villain checks, Hero checks.

River: ($45.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villain calls $53.45 (All-In), Hero??
Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: NL50 AA facing all in on the river

Why did you check the turn? I think the answer to your dilema lies there. If you checked in order to induce action from your opponent, you must call. If you checked becasue you were afraid of the flush, you must fold.

Personally, I somehow doubt one-pair is going to take this pot down. But I probably (mistakenly) call anyway, becasue I'm suspicious of that bet. That's a weak spot in my game.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the turn? I think the answer to your dilema lies there. If you checked in order to induce action from your opponent, you must call. If you checked becasue you were afraid of the flush, you must fold.

Personally, I somehow doubt one-pair is going to take this pot down. But I probably (mistakenly) call anyway, becasue I'm suspicious of that bet. That's a weak spot in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I was suspicios of the flush, and thought I would take the free card to the nut flush draw. However I'm not sure this was optimal, and in hindsight was wondering whether I should have pushed the turn. After the turn I was probably quite happy to check the hand down, but given his all in that ceased to be an option [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

However, had he really had the flush I think he would have bet less on the river, the bet makes me suspicios. On the other hand I suppose it was in reality just a pot sized bet.
What do anyone else do?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:56 AM

raise more preflop, pot the flop, push the turn.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:11 AM

Raise more preflop.

I have a question about potting the flop: obviously we're making draws pay, but say villain flat calls - what information do we gain about his hand? We're creating a huge pot (to the point where villain's river push is basically a PSB) in which we're pretty much committed to pay him off with your stack if he has a set. Are we okay with that?

Not criticizing the play, just trying to understand it as well as its consequences when we're faced with this kind of river bet from villain.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 AM

I would bet 15-20 on the turn. If he re-raised, I would fold. If he called the turn, and checked the river, I would check(or go allin). If he called, and raised the river, I would fold.

Btw. I would fold the river in your situation.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 AM

I would have bet the turn.

Fold river. Given that bet into that pot I think he's got either a slowplayed set or more likely Q10. Heck maybe he does have the flush too. But even though he could just have a Q I'd fold.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet 15-20 on the turn. If he re-raised, I would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would put near 60% of your stack in the middle and then fold?

I push the turn. I dont like checking, and any bet commits you.

BTW, re-raise more preflop. Make it atleast $8.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:54 AM

The pf re-raise screams monster pocket. If he has any hand reading skill he would have to figure that you've had something from the beginning, and this would not be an optimal pot to bluff. I just smell set here.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pf re-raise screams monster pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see donks re-raise preflop with small pocket pairs, K7o, and all sorts of other trash. And anyone who will reraise big with trash will think that you are reraising with trash, and will call with their small pair, suited 1-gappers, and weak offsuit aces. Not often, but often enough!