Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: AQ what now?

the added pot equity you get from betting based on the chance your opponent folds a better or potentially better hand. its generally used when semibluffing like here.

a turn bet is good because there is the chance that:
a) he calls a worse hand
b) he folds a better or potentially better hand
c) he calls a better hand; but we hit one of our ~7 outs on the river and take down the pot anyway (semi-bluff)

fold equity is an important factor here, because a decent amount of the time he is just going to call us down with a hand like T9 and we arent going to improve to win. we most likely dont have the pot equity with our ace high to make a turn bet a strictly value bet, thus we need the added equity that comes from the times he folds.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the added pot equity you get from betting based on the chance your opponent folds a better or potentially better hand. its generally used when semibluffing like here.

a turn bet is good because there is the chance that:
a) he calls a worse hand
b) he folds a better or potentially better hand
c) he calls a better hand; but we hit one of our ~7 outs on the river and take down the pot anyway (semi-bluff)

fold equity is an important factor here, because a decent amount of the time he is just going to call us down with a hand like T9 and we arent going to improve to win. we most likely dont have the pot equity with our ace high to make a turn bet a strictly value bet, thus we need the added equity that comes from the times he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks alot! Okay. I don't really think it is good to bet the turn here because this player was so loose that semibluff wouldn't probably work. But generally it looks like a good move.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't bet this turn but I sure as hell call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious, are you check/calling because you dont believe there is enough fold equity for a profitable semi bluff? or to induce a bluff for value?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.

"Bet hands with no outs, check hands with outs"

1. I don't think we are ahead.
2. If we are ahead, there are very few cards that hurt us. (except BDFD, which I'm not fearing ever).
3. I have to call a raise.

+ I check-raise the turn a lot. A better hand might not bet here.

+ A worse hand may try to pick up the pot on the river, that would have folded the turn.

+ I get to find out what villian cold calls and peels the flop with. (For future reference). This may lead me to bluff check/raise or bet the turn in future encounters.