Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: I\'m buying 2 kittens this week

Nope, it just has "litter" in it, which is essentially simulated dirt. The cats just instinctually know that's where they're supposed to do their business. Most cats, anyway.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM

litter box:

Old 10-28-2005, 12:11 PM

do not declaw - but you will want to protect your furniture and rugs - I have three cats and use this product - it's awesome:

soft paws
Old 10-28-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do not declaw - but you will want to protect your furniture and rugs - I have three cats and use this product - it's awesome:
soft paws

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. That's a new one on me. Of course, I prefer just wrapping the whole cat in plastic myself... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

soft paws

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than start a new thread on this, my GF and I are getting a kitten this weekend and I am glad I found this thread, excellent ideas. Neither of us have ever owned a cat before and any other advice not metioned in this thread is appreciated.

I am kind of worried about the clawing of furniture, and the product Dom posted looks like it has some promise, just curious if there are any testimonials? Also, aside from this or the squirt gun idea, anything else to prevent it?

Excellent thread guys.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 AM

Train em in the traditional pirate cat ways.

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, me hearty! arr!

Rum is ye reward fer em
The Lash is ye deterrent fer em

And sodomy depends on the mood, arr!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

soft paws

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha, I like the demonstration page

Good luck getting any non-sedated cat to sit still for that 20 times.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 AM

My cat has developed an interesting new habit this week. Fidgeting open the drain in my shower, drinking the water found in there foolowed by getting sick on the carpet as the grand finale. Quite charming.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:49 PM

Our cat is the biggest pain in the arse in the history of arses. Life would be worse without him.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 PM

I didn't read through the responses, but as a longtime cat owner, here is my advice.

1. If you like your furniture or carpet, you're going to have to get them declawed. Do this only if you're sure they will become inside cats for life, because if they become outside cats they will have no way to defend themselves in the wild. Declawing is nowhere near as inhumane as it was a few years ago- they do it with a laser now and recovery time is very short. My 2nd cat had this done and he was fine as soon as the meds wore off.

2. Invest in decent food. You don't have to spend $30 on a bag of food, but make sure it's not crap, either. One of my cats got a horrible UTI from crappy food I bought him and it ended up costing me an assload more to get that fixed than it would to just buy good food. Also, if you get them started on wet food they will expect that from then on and will not eat dry food.

3. As for toys, they love balls and stuff, but it'll get lost in approximately 5 seconds under the fridge or stove or couch. My cats love the stupidest things- mostly caps from bottles and socks and stuff. Catnip filled stuff is always a good idea. The best toy in my eyes is the stick with a long string and a feather or other toy attached at the end. My cats love this toy and drop it on my face when I'm sleeping because they want to play with it.

Those are the only really important things I can think of. The automatic litter boxes are nice, except don't get the littlersweep one at PetsMart because it doesn't work. Trust me on this one. Be aware also that if the box isn't clean they'll poop elsewhere- on the carpet, and my one cat used to poop in the shower if the box was too dirty. Kitties are cute but are hell on earth (mine were) to deal with because they don't listen at all. It's a excersize in patience, for sure.

Good luck and I hope my advice helps! Enjoy your kitties and post pics when you get them!