Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:48 AM

Default A9s - Rivers top two

Allright guys....not real happy with how I played this one on the river and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on how they'd play it, and check to see if my play was results oriented or not. I think the case can be made for raising preflop with it as well, but i'm experimenting with limping in with these suited aces right now in hopes of trapping someone with flush over flush....work in progress for the moment though.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($61.97)
SB ($79.75)
BB ($67.05)
Hero ($54.68)
MP ($16.70)
CO ($50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, CO calls $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($6.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, CO calls $4, BB folds.

River: ($14.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $14</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: A9s - Rivers top two

I doubt flush over flush happens often enough for that reason to work, but I've never seen it happen often enough.

Flop and turn look fine to me. I might bet more on the river if the CO is the kind of player who wouldn't call flop and turn bets with one pair or better. Maybe $10? As it went he's either flopped a set or is trying to bluff you with his busted draw imho.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM

For me, Id call. I cant see you folding this pot for $7.

If you had played with him a while and where sure this is how he playes his sets, you could fold, but It would take all in for me to lay it down. Definately not $7 more.
Though I really can think of a hand other then trips that makes sense here. Of course these small limits we play, if we use too much logic we end up outplaying ourselves while some donkey takes the pot with AK.

Of course a re-raise is out of the question.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:53 AM

I am torn between calling and reraising here. In the heat of battle I would probably just call, but I think reraising is a very viable option. Either he has a set or he just rivered an ace-high two-pair. If you reraise, he will probably call with all of them, so basically it is pretty much up to which you think is most likely. A read here would be helpful.

Dumle
Old 11-14-2005, 10:56 AM

I reraise pot here and call his push. If he has 35 then I make a note and win my money back later. If he is this passive with a set then make a note.

Looks to me like villain made more mistakes in this hand than you unless he holds A9, A&amp;, or AK-AJ.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your betting your stack he had Ace rag and just made a worse 2 pair. If thats not the case he slowplayed trips. Nothing else on this board makes sense.

The way i see it, the bet comes back to you, there is $35 in the pot. Its $7 to you. 6:1 odds on your call. You've got yourself a winning call long term.

I play cautiously on the river, but for me this is plenty of value for the hand and I'm happy to showdown right here.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your betting your stack he had Ace rag and just made a worse 2 pair. If thats not the case he slowplayed trips. Nothing else on this board makes sense.

The way i see it, the bet comes back to you, there is $35 in the pot. Its $7 to you. 6:1 odds on your call. You've got yourself a winning call long term.

I play cautiously on the river, but for me this is plenty of value for the hand and I'm happy to showdown right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you just articulated the argument for a push, right?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:30 AM

I'm gonna go ahead here and assume the villain is rational. For this reason, I'm not really gonna entertain 53 in any form as a holding.

AA thru TT is out of the question, as there was no PFR. I can see a weak, but rational player playing something like an AT or AJs here. You clearly aren't stacking a moron with AK or AQ suited or not here cause was an unraised pot. So you aren't crushing another A unless its A7, A4, or A2. If the player is bad, I'd give let him have any of those 18 combinations; if he is good, then only really 5 (A7dd, A4dd, A4hh, A2hh, and A2dd). Or he could have flopped 1 of 7 sets, or maybe he got really lucky and turned his set bringing it to 10 sets total.

With a rainbow zero board like that, if he has a set and played it the way he did, I love it.

I can easily see him having a set here, (as I've always suspected minraises postflop to be signs of strength or severe mental retardation) so I agree with pocket11s when he says a reraise is out of the question. Even in the worst case scenario that I can think of for you, villain is 'good' and only has the 5 Ax two pairs (no AT or anything)you still win 5 times for every 10 times you lose to sets.

The pot is being generous and offering you a 5:1 call that has you at most likely a 2:1 dog at WORST. Call please.

Thoughts on my thoughts?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:33 AM

42, I think your logic is waaaaaaaaaaaay off when you say that is an argument for a push. I think its a pretty clear, and quite eloquent argument for a call. Wish I could make my points using so few words. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]