Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Is it me or is stars 1/2 garbage?

In lieu of the partypoker happenings, I decided to take a look at other sites. With the pokerstars rake being so favorable, I figured eh let's give it a shot.

So I went on a turbo bonus-clearing spree today, and cranked out 2100+ hands on 1/2 tables on stars. The vpip on the tables was terrible. I don't recall seeing one true ridiculously bad fish. A couple of bad players sure, but nothing worth trying to make money off of. The tables are filled with tight tight players. Flops seen % almost never exceeded 30 on any table, let alone the vpip (which we all know is a few % lower). Trying to play profitable poker on 20-25% vpip tables is a fruitless endeavor.

Did I catch stars on a bad day or is it usually like this? Are the .50/1 games any better?

Not that it matters at all, but over the 2000 hands, my bb/100 is .01, and I'm up a grand total of .25 BB (50 cents). Sample size etc, but still, the tables just felt so tight I don't see how they could be profitable. And yes I tried jumping tables.

Any thoughts? Am I wrong about stars?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Is it me or is stars 1/2 garbage?

My experiences there exactly.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flops seen % almost never exceeded 30 on any table, let alone the vpip (which we all know is a few % lower). Trying to play profitable poker on 20-25% vpip tables is a fruitless endeavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's profitable. You just need to learn how to adjust and how to select a good seat. All you need is to be in position against one bad player and have no really strong other players at the table to profit.

But I'm pretty sure that the microlimit tables are soft enough that it's possible to beat (at a decent winrate) a generic table in a generic position.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:39 AM

Stars, at least in my short experience at 1/2 there, has the most skilled players (for that level) that I've seen. Lots of VPIPs between 12-20, PFRs of 7-10. Plenty of rocks, too. Don't recall seeing many hands worse than ATs at showdown.

I'm guessing a lot of 2+2ers are bonus whoring there right now, so in a week or two this might ease up. (Bonuses don't expire as far as I know, so you shouldn't miss out by waiting.)

Basically it's a matter of playing your good cards aggressively, keeping track of tendencies (the bluff check-raise is one I saw a few times - I'd 3-bet, they'd fold), and zeroing in on the couple of fish at the table.

The way I figure it, it's good experience. I currently have the burning desire to know how to beat all types of tables. In the past couple of months, I've done the loose-passive at Paradise, the tight-passive at Absolute, and the recent LAGfest at Party. The Stars tables just complete the Circle of Life.

In fact, I think I'll go play some there right now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 12:55 AM

It's the worst game I've seen on the net. Obviously there are probably a few fish here and there and just by chance they form a good table every now and then, but I was also trying to clear some Stars bonii finally and played 1/2 and 80% of the players are VPIP < 20%

Was rocktastic, I saw so many 1 player raises, everyone including blinds folds.... luckily I stole my share of blinds and stuff.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:04 AM

The short-handed 1/2 tables were quite playable in my most recent visit there for the bonus.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:20 AM

Not sure if I'm ready for 6-max yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions on some other sites to hang out at while I wait around for party and rakeback to work itself out completely? (Yes I'm fully aware of the current situation).

Is absolute any good? Bonuswhoring to build up a roll there might be nice.
[ QUOTE ]
It's the worst game I've seen on the net. Obviously there are probably a few fish here and there and just by chance they form a good table every now and then, but I was also trying to clear some Stars bonii finally and played 1/2 and 80% of the players are VPIP < 20%

Was rocktastic, I saw so many 1 player raises, everyone including blinds folds.... luckily I stole my share of blinds and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the worst game I've seen on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full ring, yes.

Shorthanded, HELL NO. <4 handed it is so easy to run them over with proper aggression and SH play.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is absolute any good?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't like rocks, you'll hate Absolute. At Stars, at least they get money into the pot sometimes.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if I'm ready for 6-max yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You saying that has already told me you aren't, and I don't even know you. Hi!

6-max is very easy if you take the effort to learn. Assume the first 4 people have folded, defend your blinds more, and get more aggressive. Ding! $$$$