Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crook

Pokerstars: We will give you free accomodations if you agree to wear our logo material.

Party: You WILL wear out logo material, and accomodations are going to cost you $2000 of prize pool.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, you ARE going to the WSOP, all expenses paid.

Jus' sayin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. How would you like it if you entered a tournament, and of course paid an entry fee, and they announced that first prize was $13,500. Then you went on to win the tournament, and they tell you, "We are only paying you $13,250--we want to make more money, the entry fee was not enough!"

2. Though the above is a completely legitimate point, for me this is not about the money, its about wanting to stay in a hotel of my choosing--I think the MGM at $150/night is a complete ripoff.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, you ARE going to the WSOP, all expenses paid.

Jus' sayin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. How would you like it if you entered a tournament, and of course paid an entry fee, and they announced that first prize was $13,500. Then you went on to win the tournament, and they tell you, "We are only paying you $13,250--we want to make more money, the entry fee was not enough!"

2. Though the above is a completely legitimate point, for me this is not about the money, its about wanting to stay in a hotel of my choosing--I think the MGM at $150/night is a complete ripoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

B-Man,

While I do think you have some valid points, I'd check the website on party poker first. This might be one of those "buyer beware" things.

You might not like it, but by entering the step 6s you agreed to this with your entry fee.

On a side note - thanks for giving me one more reason never to open a party account [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 04:18 PM

While the taxes probably aren't $50/night, a 20%+ tax rate on hotel rooms isn't uncommon which would make the room $180/night.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crooks)

It's more likely the MGM is giving them a worse rate a ora room in a different tower then the cheap one, then them screwing you. Seriously. Hotel's are weird.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crooks)

I find it hard to believe that Party is intentionally screwing you. maybe they're charging you for their labor or something. I think it's definitely worth trying to get a $2000 refund and staying at the Bellagio, though I doubt it'll happen.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do people really believe this? If the main event of the WSOP attracts 6000 players it will only be a blip on the radar screen compared to some of the big conventions that Las Vegas draws.

CES attracted over 130,000 people, I think Las Vegas will be able to handle 6000 some.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're only counting the people entered in the ME itself... you need to count all the cash game players that show up, as well as all smaller tourney players. Plus the people that show up just to be part of the "experience" Don't think for one second that some hotels aren't upping their prices at some point during the WSOP
Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 PM

they really aren't.

it's not a big event by Las Vegas standards (in terms of people).
Old 05-11-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's more likely the MGM is giving them a worse rate a ora room in a different tower then the cheap one, then them screwing you. Seriously. Hotel's are weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. I used to travel with a small crew at a previous job. We had corp "discount" cards for hotels. I used them ONCE and started using either the regular discounts or asking at the desk for a group rate. At least half the time the "corp discount" was based on the peak season rate not the current rate - result MUCH higher than just paying the asking price. The rest of the time the "corp discount" was much less than just asking for a discount because you were getting 3 rooms.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:47 PM

None of this surprises me too much.

It's always puzzled me why people enter these satellites. Wouldn't it be simpler just to try to win $10k and enter the WSOP on your own? It's not as though you have to do anything other than just write a check to get into the tournament.