Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 04:11 AM

Default My last hand in Aussie, advice needed

Hi, first hand i post here, i've been reading here long enough though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So, as some of you might know I won a seat in the Aussie Million, and this is what happened in my last hand, please comment my play as well as my oponents...

23 ppl left money starts at 18, average stack somewhere around 57k, I have about 43k. Blinds 1200/2400 with a 300 ante.

I raise to 8k UTG with AKo. Passed to Wes Bugiera (I don't reqognize his name, mabe you will though) who had me covered by maybe 20k or so. He had been playing a solid game, but i belive he'd also made a few tricky moves, nothing that had been shown, though. He thinks for a while and calls. We take the flop of T-8-4 (think there was two [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but i'm not entirely sure, might have been rainbow as well, i did not have a diamond)

I thought for a short while and the pushed my remaining 35k in, he called almost instantly, showing QQ.

No help on the turn or river and i'm out.

So, what do you people feel about my play? His play?

I'll post my thoughts in a new message

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 AM

Default My thoughts

Preflop I'm alright. But when he calls I should have anticipated a high pair, TT-QQ and thus i should have check-folded the flop and hoped to live into the money (even 18:th is a significant amount to me).
I like his play, though, I'm fairly sure that he called with the plan of playing for all his chips if no A or K flopped... that's a play I have to add to my arsenal, that's for sure, so i guess all this at least made me a better player, plus that i get a free holiday in Aussie, not all that bad, although it would have been better with loads of money on top of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

see ya around, now i'm gonna drink myself silly
Old 01-16-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: My thoughts

I always like to give my opponent the oppurtunity to tell me what he has in his hand, especially after a call from a player I respect. I don't like moving all in on A high against a call. As far as his play goes I like it alot. Also going to add it to my arsenal... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: My last hand in Aussie, advice needed

You're in a tough spot. If you check, you're just begging for him to steal with nothing. And sometimes, that's the main reason a tricky player will call you preflop. They have position, and figure on outplaying you postflop. Thus, at least some people in his spot don't have to have that good of a hand at all. Of course, I wasn't there, and I don't this guy at all, so you're the one who has to say what hands he might have to make that call.

The problem with your all-in bet on the flop is that it probably doesn't smell right. If you did hold an overpair to the board, would you have bet your entire T35K into this pot? It seems to be about T22K, so generally speaking, an all-in bet for about 1.5xpot is fine, but what would you have done with AA? Bet T35K, or maybe only T10-15K? If you're going to bluff, you have to act, and you have to look realistic. This bet may not have been realistic, depending upon your previous play.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)