Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: oooo!

Ohh, they exist alright, they are just as flawed as in every other part of the earth.

Tell me again what the main difference between oil and diamonds are, why do we value diamonds so highly, and yet oil so little?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Logic too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I say:
It's strange that A is so much cheaper than B, when A is made from B.

You counter with:
Not strange at all, look here, C is much more expensive than D, when C is made from D.

This is exactly what I am saying. Where is the logic fallacy in that?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:50 AM

Ok, I'll bite - here is two counter-arguements.

Following the bio-mass approach
1. You pay 0.5 SEK for 1kWh from wood that has been harvested and delivered and processed into energy.
2. The entire world has billions (trillions?) of biomass that does nothing and over millions of years will become oil absolutely free of charge.

Why should the price of oil be dependant on the bio-mass that made it up -- nobody was doing anything with it anyway?

Economics --
Why would the fair price of gasoline be anything different than what the market forces of supply and demand dictate?

rabbit
Old 02-16-2005, 12:06 PM

"Why would the fair price of gasoline be anything different than what the market forces of supply and demand dictate? "

Because markets frequently don't take into account longer term costs, especially when it is unclear who will be responsible for paying them.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should the price of oil be dependant on the bio-mass that made it up -- nobody was doing anything with it anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really arguing it should, I just find the disparity between the prices interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
Economics --
Why would the fair price of gasoline be anything different than what the market forces of supply and demand dictate?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really a too big discussion, but let me give some pointers.
The supply side of the supply-demand is completely off-scale. We don't have much oil left (some 50 years of current usage, and that's being generous). We are very soon entering a time when oil extraction will shrink, it happens roughly when half the oil is extracted. Meaning we will have less and less oil each year, and still we would really need more and more to feed the current exponential-growth way of life. Unless we can find a new source of energy, and so far there is nothing that can even begin to make any sort of difference.

So, I propose that supply-demand would have worked well (maybe) if we had an unlimited supply. Which we don't, but current prices does not in any way take that into account.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:28 PM

you cannot use logic and reason in their emotional argument. they DONT see logic and reason as logic and reason, just wrong, thats all.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 PM

Man, I haven't seen tilt this bad for quite a while.

How about you respond to my points instead of just saying I can't use logic?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Mostro, I feel bad for what you just went through here on this thread. Just another indication of the messed up mentality of people, especially the brainwashed American public. Instead of speaking to your points, you get a few people making personal attacks who accuse you of not using logic. The whole thing is sad but it seems to be mainly an American general public attitude that is consistent with the anti-intellectualism that has been part of our culture for a while. See Richard Hofstadter's book on the subject.

Good luck and keep on being logical and raising important issues.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:53 PM

i cant tell if this is sarcasm or serious. either way. roflmao.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 PM

Not surprising that a neo-conservative like you (I've seen some of your posts) can't tell what's up. Keep practicing your goose-stepping and join the local SS. I hear they recruit economically and mentally challenged people so you should have no problem fitting in.

Heil war profiteering and consumerism!