Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 07:18 PM

Default HOH 2 has more errors than HOH 1

Maybe my case is unique, but I've already run into two diagrams that are incorrectly labeled in the problems section. The problem usually is it has You listed in the BB but the explanation has you being in the SB. There are a ridicilous amount of mathematical errors as well, some as common as calculating pot odds.

It just feels that after all the work Mason claimed went into editing this book that he hasn't held up his end of the bargain. I don't plan on buying a 2nd edition with all the corrected errors because I feel it's the publishing company's responsibility to ensure as few typos as possible the first time. Mason, I look forward to hearing your explanation.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: HOH 2 has more errors than HOH 1

Why don't you just supply a list of specific errors so we can all benefit? I doubt that any explanation you recieve will satisfy you. Not much good can come from a post like this.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:53 PM

I will post a list. My post was to see if any other members here on 2+2 forums have found as many errors as I have. After my second reading, I will post all of the errors with my suggested corrections. I also feel I will probably get flamed by a bunch of people who are on Mason's nuts but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will post a list. My post was to see if any other members here on 2+2 forums have found as many errors as I have. After my second reading, I will post all of the errors with my suggested corrections. I also feel I will probably get flamed by a bunch of people who are on Mason's nuts but that's the way it goes sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minor errors are ok IMHO, for the business of the book. The books timing had to coincide with the WSOP, small typos could be overlooked provided the theoretical concepts and results are correct.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Actually, I agree. I'm almost done with my first reading, and the book is rife with errors, both simple wording errors and more serious analytical errors. I also have many questions which are debatable, but the errors I'm talking about are not debatable.

Having said all that, I find HOH2 even more beneficial than the fantastic HOH1, and in my opinion, together they are an incredible and invaluable work.

A few lists (one by Mason) have already been done for HOH1; HOH2 needs it as well.

-ptmusic
Old 07-17-2005, 09:17 PM

This doesnt bother me in the least. When I find these errors, its a sign that I am actually reading critically and not just accepting. At any rate, the value of these two books far, far outweighs any negatives from the errors and such. I just cant get worked up about it.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:25 PM

Hi Pt:

When we're ready, we will post an errata for HOH: Volume II.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-17-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt you'll be flamed if your identification of errors is objective and accurate. In fact, I bet such a list would be received excellently. People get flamed here when they run their mouths and don't provide anything to back it up.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:38 AM

I'm getting pretty tired of people bitching about errors in a book. It almost seems like you were reading HOH2 to try and be the first guy to point out errors. So what? Who's perfect? And Mason has already pointed out that they will publish the list of corrections. That's fine enough for me.

I for one, am glad that the book was rushed out even if there were a few errors in the book. I noticed them, and changed them with my pen, along with all the other markings, underlines, and stars by passages. Not too hard to do.

I find it pretty ridiculous to see a poster like this complaining when I think of how much my game has improved and the resulting positive cash flow that is the result of all the books that 2+2 publishes.

Get a life and show some grattitude.

Wombles
Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 AM

OP's post acknowledged the value of the text. Your post ignores a publisher's responsibility to its readers. I think you are being too defensive. Everyone here would benefit from more professional editing practices at 2+2.

Also, isn't Mason down on record as saying that even if a poker book is 98% correct, it can still be terrible.
And does anyone remember the thread where Sklansky lost his mind over Bob Ciaffone misstating the odds of being dealt a pocket pair?

We could use a lot more objectivity on this forum.