Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Just a general suggestion to improve 2+2 books, pretty simple but good

I've just received HoH Volume I and II from Amazon.ca today. I was reading Volume I when I got to the first quiz chapter and attempted to answer them. Now I really enjoy problems in 2+2 books, they're fun and challenging. I like taking them seriously and answering to the best of my ability. Problem is, that the answer to the questions is so close-by, you can see it with your peripheral vision.

This is often distracting and I tend to see the answer before I want to. I like to read in bed and this usually means I have to get up and hide the answer with my palm. A simple fix to this would be to either have the answers on the following page, or devote a section entirely to the answers.

I know this may seem trivial or silly, but it's just something that would improve the books in my opinion and would make them that much more enjoyable to read (and to learn from). Sorry if this has been posted already, but I was in bed reading HoH (seriously [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) and felt like suggesting this ASAP.

Thanks for the great books! Time to get back into bed with the HoHs. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Just a general suggestion to improve 2+2 books, pretty simple but

It is a bit problematic and therefore suboptimal, but not too much to worry about. Try covering the answers with a card.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Just a general suggestion to improve 2+2 books, pretty simple but good

I use a bookmark or even just a piece of paper to cover the answers. Make sure you use something that is flexible and long enough to cover at least the entire width of the page. It's actually easier than leafing back and forth.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Just a general suggestion to improve 2+2 books, pretty simple but good

"Answers in white below:"...and then sell the books with special glasses that allow you to see the answers in black [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But seriously, I do find it a bit annoying as my eyes usually find their way to the answer before I read the entire problem. I've been using a bookmark, but when I go to cover it I see the answer. Putting it on the next page would be nice, but I'm sure that would waste a decent amount of page space.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM

I actually prefer the way they do it now, and use a notecard to cover up the answer. Why? Three reasons:

1) While viewing the answer, I like to be able to easily glance back at the problem.

2) I hate having to flip back and forth between the 'problem' page and the answer page. Having to do so takes more time, and makes it much more likely that I'll unintentionally see the answers for the next problems.

3) The notecard serves as a bookmark.

Maybe that's just me, but I don't want 2+2 to think everyone wants this changed.

Pasta
Old 07-19-2005, 02:22 PM

I agree, I like having the questions and the answers on the same page.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 PM

I concur. I like the current practice of having the question and answer close. I really don't like thumbing forward 20 pages to see the answer. And if I'm really thinking (hey , it happens sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) I like to have the question close by for quick reference.

CC
Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Yeah, that's fine, though I think there be more space between the question and answer.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's fine, though I think there be more space between the question and answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another reason I'd add, which is when I refer to pages with all the answers, I tend to accidentally register other answers whether I like it or not. I may not know the context or the question but it will be in the back of my mind, somewhat ruining the future questions. I haven't seen the book, but just a clear boldface ANSWER or separating line should be enough.

Albert
Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM

I hold the obviously correct opinion that the questions and answer should be separate. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There are those who disagree, and they have expressed good reasons for their preference. The answer to the problem, which I have suggested in the past to various people in the business and apparently been ignored, is:

1. Print the book in Q & A form, as 2+2 currently does.

2. Put only the questions on the web site, where those who prefer can read them there or print them out and ponder them at leisure. The questions themselves without answers are meaningless without the book, so the publisher is not giving anything away. In fact, seeing the questions on the web might lead to more people buying the book.