Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Preflop Betting Debate

I have read both HOH1 & HOH2 & I just started Phil Gordan's Little Green Book. Harrington advises to make larger raises from early position to eliminate more players, and based on the fact that you don't mind taking the pot down right there out of position. He especially emphasizes this with 99-JJ as these are hands that don't want a lot of action. Phil Gordan raises less from early position and more from later position. He says that he would rather get more money in the pot when he is at a positional advantage and less money in the pot when he is out of position. I understand the logic but by making larger raises from late position, you are less likely to be able to take advantage of being in position because you are less likely to get callers. On the other hand, when you make smaller raises from early position you are only making your positional disadvantage worse by inviting more people into the pot. You may end up against several players out of position which is exactly what you don't want. Is my thinking right here? I was just wondering what others' opinions on this were. I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these strategies and seen more success with one or the other. I am leaning toward staying with Harrington's strategy and not even giving Phil's a shot. Harrington's seems to work pretty good and let's be honest here: he's had a lot more success than Phil Gordan.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Preflop Betting Debate

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington's seems to work pretty good and let's be honest here: he's had a lot more success than Phil Gordan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about the idea of changing bet size based on position, but came to the conclusion that it probably isn't a great idea. If you bet more from early position, the players who do call are more likely to have a better hand. If you are trying to just win the blinds with your EP raise and are completely uncomfortable playing out of position you should limp (but also get better).