Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Aggressive with 88 from EP

This hand is from a tight online 5/10 game. I raise 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG. A tight aggressive player in late position makes it tree bets. I call. Flop comes

5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

and I check and call. Turn is the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check-raise.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Aggressive with 88 from EP

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is from a tight online 5/10 game. I raise 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG. A tight aggressive player in late position makes it tree bets. I call. Flop comes

5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

and I check and call. Turn is the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a question or something?

I think this is fine, but since you, the Hero, are OOP will you bet out on the river UI? Obviously, you'll call a 3-bet on the turn, but will you still bet out on the river or will you just check/fold?

If this TAG has an A he's probably going to call you down (i.e. AK, AQ). If he raised pre-flop w/ a PP smaller than AA he might fold, I suppose.

Other than TAG, what sort of read do you have on this guy? Will he fold often to a scare card check/raise if he thinks he behind or will he simply go into call down mode?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:49 PM

/puke
Old 10-14-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a question or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Implicit question: Does anyone have any opinions about the way I played this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is fine, but since you, the Hero, are OOP will you bet out on the river UI? Obviously, you'll call a 3-bet on the turn, but will you still bet out on the river or will you just check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check-fold the river UI.

[ QUOTE ]
Other than TAG, what sort of read do you have on this guy? Will he fold often to a scare card check/raise if he thinks he behind or will he simply go into call down mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about specific tendencies. He stats were 22/13/1.8 after 100 hands.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:15 AM

I seriously think what you basically did was insure you got more money in with the worst of it.

You were most likely a nice favorite on the flop and your check just gave him a free card. When the ace hits you are now definitely behind whatever hand he is holding. Players at this level won't let hands go here to a check raise, they need to showdown every hand they 3bet, it's compulsive. So basically you managed to avoid betting when you had the best of it, and then get 2big bets in when you were drawing to 8.x outs. There is only a small chance of getting a free showdown when you check to him, and if you hit the str8 there is almost no chance of you getting 2 bets in on the river.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
/puke

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously think what you basically did was insure you got more money in with the worst of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is roughly what I thought too.

I probably should have raised the flop being a favorite at that point. However, the chance of getting a fold on the turn cannot be close to zero because KK-99 will fold some of the time IMO. Apparently there is a big chance I'm mistaken though.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is roughly what I thought too.

I probably should have raised the flop being a favorite at that point. However, the chance of getting a fold on the turn cannot be close to zero because KK-99 will fold some of the time IMO. Apparently there is a big chance I'm mistaken though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but there is almost 0% chance.

KK-99 Don't check this flop - >> KK-99 BETS the flop.
KK-99 Doesn't bet the turn. (ok sometimes they do)

AK/AQ/Ax checks this flop ->> AK/AQ/AX bets the turn.
AK/AQ usually does bet this flop too though.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I "checked and called" the flop, meaning he bet.

You're right about him often checking behind on the turn with a pocket pair though.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I "checked and called" the flop, meaning he bet.

You're right about him often checking behind on the turn with a pocket pair though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops, I read the hand wrong. In this case I think your line was still bad, but a lot less bad than before.