Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: I warn you, don\'t watch this video (anti-fur vid)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i personally see no problem with the fur industry. just think back to the old days.. way back. people would just kill animals and use them for fur, meat, whatever. it's not my bag to torture animals for thier fur, or for any reason, but if people want fur, there are animals out there with it, i think they have a right to get it (sadly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn cmon. who cares what they did in the old days.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i used the wrong terms. i am talking about cavemen
Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i personally see no problem with the fur industry. just think back to the old days.. way back. people would just kill animals and use them for fur, meat, whatever. it's not my bag to torture animals for thier fur, or for any reason, but if people want fur, there are animals out there with it, i think they have a right to get it (sadly).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much THAT they get it (I'm rather indifferent to this), but rather HOW they get it.

I'd like to see these animals killed somehow before being skinned.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much THAT they get it (I'm rather indifferent to this), but rather HOW they get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read before that the animals are usually euthanized before they're skinned. I'm not going to watch the video, but I imagine it is from some third-world backwoods operation that doesn't have to follow any guidelines or laws. The PETA folks will make it seem like this is standard practice, though.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read before that the animals are usually euthanized before they're skinned. I'm not going to watch the video, but I imagine it is from some third-world backwoods operation that doesn't have to follow any guidelines or laws. The PETA folks will make it seem like this is standard practice, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i agree with this
Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The truth.

While I'm not saying this never happens, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to risk damage to your valuable skin by letting it struggle while you attempt to claim it.

It wouldn't be the first time anti-cruelty/murder/abortion activists have resorted to using the very techniques they claim to be against to support their cause.

I'm not making a plea or offering an opinion for either side, but the cruelty of mankind is, without question, unmatched in this world.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm not saying this isn't the truth either, but, this is just the othersides argument, this isn't the "TRUTH". Both of these are spun like a top.

These are both biased opinions.

Anyways, how about my leather, where does that come from?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By and large, leather is the by-product of already dead cattle. Mostly from the meat industry.

FWIW, cattle are killed before they are butchered. They herd them through a little series of gates, they get locked in one at a time, and either a very sharp rotary razor slices through the neck, or a very powerful air hammer hits them between the eyes to kill them. Both methods are quick.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is just the othersides argument, this isn't the "TRUTH". Both of these are spun like a top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they offer an educated opinion that they believe it may have been staged (and it is indeed suspicious), but they do not take a definitive stand either way. They simply provide the evidence at hand, which is as much truth as you're likely to find about this video.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leather

Most of the skins are obtained after the animal is stunned and bled.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:57 AM

Okay, I appreciate your efforts, and don't doubt the truth, you REALLY have to stop getting your facts from the industries themselves.

It's like watching Fox News.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many things wrong with this post...I don't even know where to begin. The thing that really struck me though is that you seem to have completely ignored the OP's concerns about the manner in which these animals are skinned.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 AM

Unfortunately I have seen another similar video to this which
was made in another non-asian country. Most of the animals are
apparently dead or unconcscious before skinning. Ghastly,
they don't seem to mind working on the conscious animals.
The other video was short and seemed unedited. Terrible.

Why ?
Is there any need to obtain the fur from the live animal ? As far as quality is concerned ? It would take just a few seconds
to knock the animal out. And it would make it easier to work.

Ok, this is happening in a non first world's (unregulated ?) industry. But how much of our fur comes from abroad. As far as I can tell, many coats require exotics which I don't think we farm here. It's all supply and demand modulated by education.
Personally it seems wasteful to kill an animal for its fur. Don't mind killing rabbits or cows as much as we also consume the meat.