Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Stud Hand #2

2/4, .25 ante, some players loose, some players tight

on 3rd I call a raise from an Ace (tight player who I read for Aces) with 2,3,4 of hearts. Three ahead of me called the raise and there are two dead hearts. Am I in or out?

On 4th it gets three bet between the Ace and a J, K unsuited. I have a 9 high four flush and I'm in between the two raisers. There is a Q,2 unsuited calling raises ahead of me. 4 hearts are dead. My read is that the Ace just has Aces and is trying to bully everybody out; the J,K is a draw; and the Q,2 is a clueless clown who chases everything.
Am I in for all the raises or when do I throw in the towel?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Stud Hand #2

I think the third-street call is fine. Calling the first bet on fourth street is dubious, but OK, but I think that when you're facing two bets cold, you should give it up. Having four cards dead is pretty bad.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:00 PM

3rd Street- Fine
4th Street- I would fold. Only 5 hearts that can help you, and you have to call 2 bets cold.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:42 PM

you have a possibly dead ended str8 flush draw. the small bet is completed by the A and there are 3 cold callers to you. there is $11 in the pot and its $2 to you. Conventional Poker theory says raise your small 3 Open SF here [1] although I will sometimes just call on the end.

On 4th I really dont understand the action. How can 2 hands 3 bet without the action getting around to you?

With 4 of your Hearts out it is likely that your STR8 flush draw is dead or severly hampered. if every body stays till the end your *at best* 38.27% to hit your flush. you are fair money favorite on the money going in with 3 opponents.

Even with all this evidence to the contrary I would Drop as it is likely you are not as live as it seems. FOLD to two bets.

[1] SCSFAP Part 1 Pg.48 Para 2 - 2+2 Publishing
Old 10-24-2004, 07:25 PM

i generally fold here on third street for a raise even with the callers. on fourth with four hearts dead the action went, if i read you correctly, Ace bets, you call JK raises and A reraises. i fold here without a second thought. the pot is large but you are only about 35% to make your flush assuming no more hearts are out and you are going to have to call a lot of bets on the remaining streets to get there.

Pat
Old 10-24-2004, 09:50 PM

Although the chance of catching a flush has been greatly diminished (to a little more than 30%), I think you still have a call. Note that about 10% of the time or so you will catch trips or a straight, and win with one of those maybe 5% of the time.

--- Callahan
Old 10-25-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Ditto for me...... N/M

N/M
Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 AM

I am very new at stud, and the consensus seems to be to fold. If I am showing an ace, and whether I had a pair or just representing, I am betting in hopes of getting a four flush to fold. If I am reading this correctly, you are next to last to act with a raiser in front and behind with a clown somewhere in the mix, so it seems to me with all of the calling in front of you, and the ability to call/check raise 7th if you catch, calling is the play here for value. Why am I wrong?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:40 AM

I'm not sure you are wrong, I think this hand is pretty close. But the fact that four hearts are out is a big deal. The value of a flush draw varies immensely depending on how many other cards are out.

-Michael
Old 10-25-2004, 02:04 PM

It's an easy call on third with three callers in front. On fourth, I fold because raising a tight player and then that player three betting sometimes will mean more than just aces. Maybe the JKhas trip kings. Or the A guy started with apocket pair and has made trips. Or was rolled. It's not that likely, but you're drawing slim anyway, there may be more action to come on 5th and 6th and you just might make your hand and lose.