Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Leak?

Here's the situation:

I'm in early position with a big starting hand (let's just use AK ). I make a standard opening raise and get a call from someone playing a wired middle pair (let's say 99).

Flop hits us both: 9 K x

I lead the flop. If it's rainbow with few or no straight draws, my opponent flat calls. Given the non threatening texture of the board, I lead out on the turn as well. If he flat calls the turn, I slow down and check the river, but often call a reasonable value bet on the end. By the time the hand is over, I've dumped off a big chunk of chips.

Is this situation an unavoidable cost of playing the game or is it a leak that can be changed? Thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Leak?

Check the turn seems to be the clear play.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:22 PM

You don't have to play for a full bet on every street. With no draw out there, it's fairly safe to check that flop, playing for a smaller pot. If he pots, I call. If he pots again on the turn, I fold. If he checks the turn and pots the river, I call unless some crazy runner runner 4-straight or flush appeared.
If he checks behind, I bet the turn, probably 2/3 pot. You'd be surprised how often QQ, JJ, TT will call you. If you're called, bet even smaller on the river, 1/3 pot, and be willing to fold to a raise. I know this strategy is exploitable, and it's not desirable to keep the pot small with a bigger hand so it's tough to balance this strategy. So mix it up, sometimes bet (you don't want to only bet a K-high flop if you missed, do you?). If you do bet, don't pot the turn, 2/3 pot it.

And don't call a value bet on the river. What kind of idiot value bets a smaller hand than AK into someone who just fired two barrels? You either missed or you got a hand, a smart opponent won't bet with less than what you are representing - AK or better. If he thinks it's fun to flatcall two bets (WITH NO DRAWS OUT) and then bluff the river, hope he doesn't leave..

As a matter of fact, it's stupid to call two bets with a draw, too, but people do that a lot more often. Unless I know the opponent to be very solid, I'll slow down if a third flush card hits even if he just called two pot-sized bets. Especially if the pot was small to begin with.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM

you can often tell if an opponent is drawing, and to what, based upon their betting patterns and the boards texture

also checking the turn with a good but not great hand punishes the people that call to bluff, which becomes more and more prevalent the higher in limits you go, or so i have found from person experience