Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Did I play these Trips right?

Missed the c/r on the flop but got it on the turn. It seems like when I post a hand like this people say to bet out on the flop, but a c/r is ok, no?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.75. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, SB calls, Hero raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.75 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 3h 2s (three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB. </font>
Old 06-25-2004, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Did I play these Trips right?

Were you intending to check-raise or smooth-call the flop? Either way, I'll most often bet out and hope it comes back to me raised so I can 3-bet. Slowplaying a set generally seems to be a bad idea... and slowplaying trips is a whole lot worse (even with a better kicker). Having said that, a rainbow flop of low cards and only 1 possible open ended straight draw makes things a bit less dangerous here -- especially if your opponents have decent pre-flop standards. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I could understand why you might wait for the turn.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:13 AM

Hey goblinmason,
I would bet the flop here. I would do this because the default play that most party poker players use is to wait until the turn to "pop" 'em. By betting the flop, you end up disguising your hand better (caveat: this does change as you move up in limits). After betting the flop, sure, go ahead and go for the checkraise on the turn.

-Jaran
Old 06-25-2004, 03:13 AM

Bet the flop. They will call. Also, there is a strong chance this flop gets checked-through.

Bet the turn. They will call.

Bet the river. If they don't call, you already have their money. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 03:16 AM

Hey tech,
I agree with you here, but as I read the hand, I was thinking about checking the turn with the intention of checkraising. By showing weakness after your flop bet, you look like someone taking a stab at the pot and get someone else to bet into you and possibly trap people for two bets on the turn. Waddya think?

-Jaran
Old 06-25-2004, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Waddya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have FPS. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey tech,
I agree with you here, but as I read the hand, I was thinking about checking the turn with the intention of checkraising. By showing weakness after your flop bet, you look like someone taking a stab at the pot and get someone else to bet into you and possibly trap people for two bets on the turn. Waddya think?

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more reason to try if you've checked/folded a few turns when your draws stopped making sense. I usually bet out... but that seems to be my answer to a lot of things lately.

Nice running into you today. Hope it was before I hit my rough patch. Tried 3-tabling for a second time and there were some stupidly embarassing moments before it was over. Such is.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:21 AM

Nice play. I understand the check raise here, and I have a tendency to do it, but I agree that the proper thing is to bet it, with that cruddy of a flop everyone with over cards is going to call. The logic of looking like you're taking a stab is a little too sophisticated for this scenario, IMO.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:35 AM

At these low limits you don't have to slowplay much, people will call you with anything, with a flop like this they will go with their overcards or a 6.

-Sent
Old 07-09-2004, 05:08 AM

I dont like this at all. Bet out on all streets.

Save your checkraises for other times.

When you flop K94 in the SB holding KQ and the field is large, that is when you checkraise. You want to cut down on people holding 9x or 4x.

When you're on a draw but not leading and the draw comes on the river, that is a good time to CR heads up to extract one more bet.

Dont checkraise a good multiway hand like that just because you can, bet out and get your moneys worth.

All IMO and standard disclaimers apply.

k