Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Was this correct to fold here

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

SB (t2120)
Hero (t1495)
UTG (t1465)
MP1 (t1920)
MP2 (t1130)
CO (t3705)
Button (t1665)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t50, CO folds, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t1080</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1480

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. MP2 wins t1480. </font>
Old 11-11-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Was this correct to fold here

50/50. He either has the straight w/ A2 or 67 or a set, in which case you are in trouble, or he has an overpair. I think they are usually equally likely without a read. Perhaps the overpair is more likely because of the tendency to not raise huge with monsters in lower level SnG's.

Hmmm, I think I call here more often than not. Interesting question.

WJ
Old 11-11-2004, 11:43 PM

that is a huge raise into such a small pot. id have to go with you and fold this one. there are many ways you are already beaten or can be drawn out on. not a good place to risk everything.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:06 AM

The other respondents are nuts. The raise is not that large - it's an allin raise and any smaller raise would have pot committed MP2, so of course he is going allin.

There's NO WAY you should fold this. Most likely hand for MP2 is an overpair or some kind of pair-and-draw combo, like A5 or 65s. Possibly MP simply has a double-overcard spade draw. A set is very unlikely given you have two pair.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:02 AM

I think you have to get in MP's shoes and ask why he would raise so much here? Maybe a set or flopped straight (if he'd play such a hand PF that would make a straight on this board) would play it this way, but a lot of the time, these hands will risk one card with a smooth call to try and get your chips on the Turn, or will make a smaller raise, hoping you'll come along further.

The all-in smells of "I don't want you to call, but if you do I still have outs." You have top/bottom two pair. That's very strong against an OESD, flush draw, or overpair.

I'd call it, against the range of hands MP would play this way, I'd say you're a pretty good favorite (and even in a worst-case scenario, you have a few outs).
Old 11-12-2004, 06:13 AM

I believe you were correct to fold here. Since the pot was not raised pre-flop, there is no way of knowing whether the flop hit someone or not. There are way too many cards that can leave you dead in the water. 4 Aces, 4 2's, 4 6's, and 4 7's can complete someone's straight draw, which also leaves 6 spades that can complete someone's flush draw. That's a total of 22 cards that can really hurt you. Not to mention overcards and what not.

With only 50 chips invested in this pot, I think it is an easy fold. This flop is just too coordinated to risk calling an all-in with two "low" pair. If you were heads-up, I would rethink it, but starting with 3 opponents and two of them betting into you, the risk outweighs the reward. Hope this helps.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 07:36 AM

I think that the only thing villian here is holding that has you beat now is A2 or 44. 26, maybe the other 53?? those seem very unlikely... i think this is the "i won't be pushed around" bet right here in a early level... i think that i would call here given that it doest seem like he would have A2 cuz that would have probably been raised pf with a small group like that... i think he has 2 overcards [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
hope that helps...

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 AM

think the fold is kind of weak

a set is not going to reraise you after you bet the pot early to act, he'd smooth call and look to spring out on either the turn most likely when you throw in another big bet

66-tt i believe.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:25 AM

I would not fold. The all-in smells like TPTK, over pair, or draw.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:19 PM

He almost certainly has a hand like 77 or 88. You are ahead in this hand more than 75% of the time, any hand that is better than yours would be slowplayed (most likely). Think about it this way.... if you had AA in this spot... would you fold? Most likely not, so don't fold your two pair.